The British High Commission (BHC) creates international opportunities for the people and builds trust between them worldwide.
We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Applications are invited from interested and qualified candidates to apply for the role of Assistant Accountant at British High Commission.
Table of Contents
Assistant Accountant AO (22/22 ABJ)
To ensure the integrity of the British High Commission (BHC) staff payroll, cash office and its efficient running in accordance with FCDO policies and guidance. Making sure that all finance policies are adhered to and communicated to both external and internal stakeholders on a monthly basis
Roles and responsibilities
- Run the cash office efficiently and in compliance with audit and financial best practice requirements. Promptly processing all cash receipts, replenishing the imprests, preparing financial returns and bank runs.
- Process and record all cash payments and receipts on the Network Post Accounting sheet as per the guidance. This includes correctly accounting for spend and reducing the risk of fraud.
- Preparing cheques for payment to suppliers. Use internet banking to process supplier payments.
- Work closely with Network teams, Regional Hub and Global Transaction Processing Centre (GTPC) Manila on staff payroll and cash advances.
- Prepare and collate staff salary claims monthly for staff payroll in line with Payroll Hub requirements
- Prepare Payroll Uploader files for processing by Payroll Hub and GTPC Manila
- Performing the Cash-In-Transit transactions and work with the GTPC on bank accounts reconciliation.
- Checking/approving the payment batches. Follow up on payment reminders and processing of invoices.
- Carry out account reconciliations with suppliers and report issues with GTPC.
- Working with the GTPC to ensure balance sheet accounts are reconciled on a regular basis
- Perform the End of Month tasks according to the FCDO guidance
- Supporting the Nigeria Network with finance related queries. Queries relating to cash expenses and claims, payroll and other general incoming mail
- Assist in ensuring the Network’s Financial Performance and Compliance Indicators (FPCIs) are kept to a high standard.
- Record keeping and filing of paperwork in accordance with guidelines
- Cover for the Accountant when necessary
- Other duties that may reasonably be required and are in accordance with the grading and profile of the job.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting Business Administration or related field.
- Experience in Finance and administrative work in a similar environment
- Excellent hands-on knowledge of Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office software
- Good analytical and team-working skills
- Ability to multi-task and support multi-faceted teams in a shared Corporate Services environment
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders, verbally and in writing
- Precision in implementing tasks, meticulous attention to detail
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Have a Master’s degree in any related field
- Familiar with Oracle based systems
Changing and Improving, Making Effective Decisions, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Salary: USD 1,314.06
Start Date: 24 October 2022
Method of Application
Qualified and interested candidate should Apply by Clicking the Button below.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Abuja are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Information about the Civil Service Success Profiles can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/success-profiles
- Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position
Deadline: October 12, 2022
Share an update or tip with us on WhatsApp: 07064212243 | email@example.com
Receive Job Alerts through our Social Media Channels:
- WhatsApp: iR Job Alert WhatsApp
- Telegram: iR Job Alert
- Twitter: @irjobalert
- Facebook: iR Job Alert
- Instagram: @irjobalert
NOTE: Intel Region Jobs (iR Job Alert) is the leading job informant in Nigeria and not necessarily an affiliate of the employer’s company.