The African Union is a continental union consisting of 54 countries in Africa.
Applications are invited from interested and qualified candidates to apply for Jobs at Executive Health Assistant at the African Union
Location: Bishoftu, Ethiopia
Grade level: GSA3 Step 5
Supervisor: Senior Veterinary Vaccine Officer
Department: Department of Rural Economy and Agriculture, AU-PANVAC (Pan African Veterinary Vaccine Centre of African Union)
Contract Type: Regular (Long Duration)
Employment Fraction: Full-time
- To provide laboratory support to the FMD (Foot and Mouth Disease) Projects between PANVAC and Pirbright Institute and ensure that laboratory facilities, animal and experiments are properly taken care of.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Perform FMD vaccine quality control tests
- Participate in the implementation and monitoring of the AU-PANVAC/ Pirbright Project based on Good Laboratory Practice.
- Maintain good husbandry practices for laboratory animal management,
- Participate in the implementation safety studies for FMD vaccines quality control testing according to international standards,
- Support laboratory activities for the production of FMD biologicals and reagents of animal base,
- Assist in the preparation of Instruction manuals, Standard Operating Procedures and other technical manuals for management of laboratory animals,
- Participate in network laboratories external quality assessment and accreditation, and
- Perform any other related duties as required by the Director of PANVAC.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Candidates must hold at least a BSc in Laboratory science, Microbiology, Animal Science or related fields. A DVM will be a preferred advantage.
- The incumbent should have a minimum of 2 years of laboratory work experience in the field of:
- Diagnostic/research laboratory (knowledge of vaccine quality control and production would be an added advantage)
- Animal husbandry
- Laboratory Animal Management.
- Proficiency in at least one of the African Union working languages (among English, French, Arabic, Portuguese and Spanish).
- Knowledge of one or more of the AU working languages will be an advantage.
Competencies and Skills
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Ability to work in a team;
- Ability to work under work pressure and deliver on time.
- Excellent drafting and reporting skills
- Good communication and negotiating skills
- Good planning and organizational skills
- Applicants must be proficient in English or French.
- Advanced Knowledge of one more or several other working languages of the AU (Arabic, Portuguese or Spanish) would be an added advantage.
Tenure of Appointment
- The Appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of 12 (twelve) months renewable once based on availability of funds and performance.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applicants should be either nationals OR citizens of any AU Member States to be strictly recruited on local terms and conditions from within the job market of country hosting the duty station.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 15,296.15 (GSA3 Step5) inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate for “Executive Health Assistant at the African Union” should click the APPLY HERE button below.
- Attach detailed and updated curriculum vitae / resume including three (3) referees with good knowledge of candidate’s work. Please, provide referees’ contact details – telephone and e-mail addresses.
- Copy of valid passport.
- Certified copies of educational qualifications – degrees, diplomas and certificates, where applicable (Not more than 5 Documents in PDF Format, and not exceeding 1 MB).
- Please be aware that only complete applications will be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted