The BBC News is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million.
BBC Media Action Nigeria is recruiting into the vacant positions. All Interested candidates are advised to go through available positions carefully and submit their applications appropriately before the deadline.
- The Finance Officer will be responsible for the preparation of financial reporting and accounting duties and will support the Finance Manager in management and oversight of all financial functions of BBC Media Action Nigeria.
- The Finance Officer will ensure compliance with BBC Media Action finance and procurement policies and procedures as well as donor and Government requirements.
- The Finance Officer is responsible for ensuring financial policy and procedures are known and understood by all staff and support non-finance team members in budgeting, reforecasting, coding and other technical issues.
- The role reports to the Finance Manager and will work closely with other departments.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Check payment requests for authorization, completeness, accuracy, coding, originality and compliance with BBC, donors, Government, and other relevant requirements.
- Maintain up-to-date accounting records that are relevant, reliable, objective and understandable. Post entries to the accounting software in real time.
- Ensure that petty cash procedures are strictly followed and well managed.
- Prepare financial reports, documents, registers and other data to respond to auditors, inland revenues and other relevant government agencies queries.
Cash and Bank Transactions:
- Process bank and cash transactions.
- Follow internal control procedures for cash disbursements, receipts and transfers.
- Ensure that valid cash receipts/invoices are collected from the payee for all payments.
- Reconcile all payments to the actual cash balances daily, conduct weekly cash count and full reconciliation at month end.
- Handle and manage the petty cash.
Budgeting, Forecasting and Reporting:
- Prepare periodic cash forecasts for the BBC Media Action Nigeria country office and submit them to Finance Manager for review.
- Monitor cash usage and requirements and advise the Finance Manager of any possible unusual activity or requirements.
- Assist the Finance Manager in the preparation of donor and other financial reports.
- Produce the required monthly project financial reports including budget vs actual reports.
- Participate actively in the regular budget reviews as per the schedule.
- Exercise budgetary control before processing payment requests.
- Process monthly payroll on time, ensuring that sufficient cash is available for payroll payments.
- Prepare the necessary accounting entries including salary allocations and payroll related deductions including taxes.
- Serve as primary liaison for staff and other external partners (banks and government office) for any payroll related issues.
- Liaison with the revenue services to ensure compliance with tax regulations, pension payment and other requirements.
- Review all procurement transactions to ensure adequate supporting documentation, accuracy of amounts and control over payments.
- Maintain a system to track commitments and outstanding contract amounts.
- Under the supervision of the Finance Manager, ensuring compliance with all financial reporting and forecasting requirements of donors and other relevant stakeholders.
- Ensuring that expenditure is incurred and reported in line with donor agreements.
Administration, Legal and Statutory Compliance:
- Support the operation of payroll for all staff in Nigeria and compliance with Nigeria tax legislation.
- Understanding and compliance with relevant anti-corruption legislation.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Relevant accounting qualifications – with copies of qualification documents. Professional qualifications will be an added advantage.
- At least 3 years’ financial management experience. Experience within a recognised NGO or INGO will be an added advantage.
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities at the same time. Experience of managing multiple budgets at the same time.
- Experience of working with and reporting to international donors (e.g. FCDO, BMGF)
- Good interpersonal skills to establish effective working relationships with financial and non-financial staff within the organisation and key stakeholders externally.
- Able to communicate effectively at all levels within the organisation.
- Excellent IT skills with experience of operating computer-based financial management systems.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
Strong team player; able to:
- work effectively under pressure
- demonstrate patience to team members,
- explain financial responsibilities to team members,
- train others in financial management.
- Willingness and ability to take the initiative in identifying problems, suggesting solutions, and implementing agreed solutions.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Participate in a mandatory briefing on Respect at Work, and ensure compliance with the staff code of conduct and its related policies.
- Report any Safeguarding concerns immediately, either to the line manager or using the Whistleblowing Policy
- Strong understanding of and commitment to BBC editorial values.
- Candidates must have the right to live and work in Nigeria. Fluency in spoken and written English is also required.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate for “Finance Officer at BBC Media Action” should send their CV with Cover lLetter (in English, PDF or Microsoft Word format) which outlines their experience and suitability for the role, and availability status to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the mail. (Tip: Learn how to write a Professional CV)
Deadline: April 6, 2022
Share an update or tip with us on WhatsApp: 070624212243 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Receive Job Alerts through our Social Media Channels:
- WhatsApp: iR Job Alert WhatsApp
- Telegram: iR Job Alert
- Twitter: @irjobalert
- Facebook: iR Job Alert
- Instagram: @irjobalert
NOTE: Intel Region Jobs (iR Job Alert) is the leading job informant in Nigeria and not necessarily an affiliate of the employer’s company.