IITA is guided by an ambitious strategy–to lift 11.5 million people out of poverty and revitalize 7.5 million hectares of farmland by 2020. We are a nonprofit organization founded in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported by several countries.
International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is recruiting into the vacant positions. All Interested candidates are advised to go through available positions carefully and submit their applications appropriately before the deadline.
All available positions are listed below:
Postdoctoral Fellow - Cowpea Physiologist
- Cowpea, Vigna unguiculata, is an important grain legume in sub-Saharan Africa, where it contributes both to the food and nutritional security of millions of people.
- At IITA, Cowpea Breeding Program is conducting research targeting the development of target product profiles associated with key market segments (e.g., homemade flour for soup making and addition to porridge and flour dough for bread; industrial flour; boiled grain mixed with ugali or other cooked meal or eaten as a snack with corn; dried young leaves as a vegetable; the dual purpose for fodder and grain).
- The “must-have traits” for all these product profiles include resistance to both biotic and abiotic stress factors. Among the abiotic stresses, heat and drought are identified as key traits.
- The successful candidate for this current recruitment will play an important role in understanding how heat and drought impact cowpea and identifying sources of tolerance to deploy the genes associated with these traits into our breeding programs.
- The ultimate aim is to develop improved cowpea varieties tolerant to drought and heat.
The tasks of the Postdoctoral Fellow – Cowpea Physiologist are to:
- Establish efficient field and screen house phenotyping methodologies for heat and drought tolerance in cowpea.
- Identify cultivated and cross-compatible wild cowpea genotypes with drought and heat tolerance.
- Investigate the physiological basis for cowpea’s drought and heat tolerance and adaptation mechanisms.
- Contribute to understanding the genetic basis for drought and heat tolerance and identifying associated QTLs.
- Contribute to resource mobilization and strengthening NARS partners’ capacity in crop physiology.
- Provide guidance and direction to national staff.
- Publish research results in reputable international journals.
- Co-supervise research of postgraduate students.
- Perform any other job-related duties as may be assigned by the cowpea research team lead.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- The candidate should have a Ph.D. in Crop Physiology or other relevant fields from a highly recognized university with two (2) to three (3) years of work experience in a similar role, preferably in an international non-profit & non-governmental setting.
- Experience in legume research.
- Ability to investigate processes responsible for the primary productivity of crop communities.
- Knowledge of advanced statistical tools and database management.
- Demonstrated field research experience in international agricultural research for development-focused projects or programs.
- Ability to work as a multi-disciplinary team member in a cross-cultural environment.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required, and a good working knowledge of the French language is an advantage.
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, sound judgment, and a high level of respect for confidentiality.
- The contract will be for an initial period of two years.
- IITA offers an internationally competitive remuneration package paid in US Dollars.
Senior Research Supervisor
Ref: STS2022 – 003
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: STS- National (6-months renewable contract)
- Perform screening of rice varieties for resistance to the African rice gall midge and rice stem borers.
- Execute field trials on naturals biological control of AfRGM through habitat manipulation.
- Conduct field studies on eco-friendly biopesticides Bacillus thuringensis and Trichoderma sp. For control of rice stem borers.
- Train students, farmers and national partners on IPM technologies.
- Perform data collection, analysis and for scientific report writing.
- Draft manuscript for publication in peer reviewed journals.
- Maintain insect reference collection for exhibition.
- Perform any other job-related task as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- B.Sc / HND in Agriculture or related field with a minimum of three (3) years’ experience performing similar or related role in a well-structured organization.
The ideal candidate must have:
- Good knowledge of data collection, report writing and experienced in rice field establishment
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
IITA offers highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working
conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should click the button below and start their application.
Deadline: April 15, 2022
Share an update or tip with us on WhatsApp: 070624212243 | email@example.com
Receive Job Alerts through our Social Media Channels:
- WhatsApp: iR Job Alert WhatsApp
- Telegram: iR Job Alert
- Twitter: @irjobalert
- Facebook: iR Job Alert
- Instagram: @irjobalert
NOTE: Intel Region Jobs (iR Job Alert) is the leading job informant in Nigeria and not necessarily an affiliate of the employer’s company.