The British High Commission (BHC) creates international opportunities for the people and builds trust between them worldwide.
We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Applications are invited from interested and qualified candidates to apply for the vacant job at the British High Commission of Nigeria.
To manage the day to day running of the BHC Abuja Transport team, providing quality services in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with FCDO policy and post regulations. You will be expected to deliver results both individually and through leadership of a team of 35+ drivers, mechanics and support staff.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a proactive structured approach to fleet and journey management, ensuring staff rosters are effectively resourced to adequately and efficiently meet business needs.
- Play a leading role in the continual improvement of transport operations by proactively identifying problems, recommending and implementing innovative solutions.
- Be the first point of contact for handling all escalated transport matters (including enquiries and feedback) deploying excellent communication and influencing skills to develop good stakeholder relationships and to promptly, calmly and decisively resolve issues.
- Provide senior management with Management Information (MI) on the Transport Section’s operations to enable timely reporting of Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) and improved customer communication.
- Lead with the planning and co-ordination of logistical arrangements for VIP visits and up-country journeys in conjunction with key stakeholders including security to ensure road travel to hazardous areas are supported by adequate risk assessment and mitigation plans.
- Work as a key member of the FCDO management team to ensure customer satisfaction and accountability in recruitment , training, performance management, discipline, health and safety, recognition and reward of the transport team.
- Efficiently manage provision of all transport resources for Abuja and subordinate posts; including fleet renewal, routine servicing, spares, fuel stocks, uniforms and accessories for the transport team, etc.
- Prepare and monitor monthly, quarterly and annual budgets for the transport team, prudently managing, authorising, recording and regularly reporting on all expenditure.
- Close supervision of the official vehicle fleet, ensuring valid documentation, proper maintenance, driver competence and adherence to health, safety and security regulations.
- Manage the vehicle maintenance workshop, certifying that it is well equipped and that mechanics comply with all health and safety requirements while doing their job.
- Supervise and maintain the integrity of the diesel supply chain, checking that there’s always sufficient diesel to power generators in all FCDO compounds in Abuja as well as official vehicles.
- Manage and supervise the transport stores ensuring that spares are readily available for vehicle maintenance employing lean and agile supply methods ensuring inventory carrying costs are at a minimum.
- Perform other duties as may be required by senior management of the British High Commission.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Previous experience in Transport or Logistical Management
- Experience of managing a large team to deliver a quality service in a high pressure environment
- A good command of English language – both verbally and in writing.
- Flexible approach to problem solving with an ability to think on their feet
- Demonstrate good interpersonal skills, integrity, professionalism and good leadership
- A self-starter able to work with minimal supervision
- Good organisational skills and analytical skills – capable of working quickly and accurately
- Quality and efficiency oriented, committed to service excellence and continuous improvement
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office tools
- Budgeting and financial management experience
- Familiar with the Nigerian transport system and Abuja/Northern Nigerian road networks
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- University Degree (Bsc or HND)
- Professional certification in Transport, logistics and distribution
- Relevant training records / certificates in Transport, General Administration, Customer Services.
Changing and Improving, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Leadership, Communicating and Influencing, Working Together
Salary: USD 1,827.80
Method of Application
Qualified and interested candidate should Apply by Clicking the Button below.
Deadline: January 12, 2023
Share an update or tip with us on WhatsApp: 07064212243 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Receive Job Alerts through our Social Media Channels:
- WhatsApp: iR Job Alert WhatsApp
- Telegram: iR Job Alert
- Twitter: @irjobalert
- Facebook: iR Job Alert
- Instagram: @irjobalert
NOTE: Intel Region Jobs (iR Job Alert) is the leading job informant in Nigeria and not necessarily an affiliate of the employer’s company.