UNDP is the development arm of the United Nations. Present in 170 countries with over 17,000 people, UNDP works on the world’s biggest problems: extreme poverty, climate change, good governance, renewable energy, crisis prevention, and women’s empowerment, among others.
UNDP has been in Nigeria since the country became independent in 1960 providing capacity building and policy development support to the Federal Government of Nigeria in areas of Governance & Peace Building, Inclusive growth and Sustainable Development.
They are currently recruiting for the POSITION below
Job ID: 2030
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Bureau: Regional Bureau for Africa
Additional Category: Management
Post Level: National Consultant
Languages Required: English
Contract Duration: 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Vacancy Timeline: 2 Weeks
Vacancy Type: National Personnel Service Agreement
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- Nigeria is Africa’s most populous country with an estimated population of 206 Million1 and an annual population growth rate of 2.6%. By 2050, the country’s population is expected to have doubled, reaching more than 400 million and thereby becoming the third largest country in the world. More than half of its population will be under the age of 30 years.
- At the same time, unemployment and under-employment are one of the key development challenges facing young people in Nigeria and undermining the prospects of the country to achieve its development aspirations and fulfil its potential as the continent’s largest economy. According to the National Bureau for Statistics’ report of 2018, over 13.9 million youth are unemployed. The highest unemployment rate was recorded for youths between 15 – 24 years standing at 40.8%, followed by those aged between 25 – 34 years at 30.7%. Investing in Nigeria’s youth is therefore becoming more urgent than ever.
- In response to this complex development challenge, the Federal Government of Nigeria, in collaboration with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and other partners, seeks to invest in the next generation of leaders through the establishment of the Nigeria Jubilee Fellows Programme (JFP) – a platform for empowering young Nigerian graduates with practical on-the-job skills and leadership competencies through a twelve-month paid placement opportunity. Under this programme, highly qualified recent graduates of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) scheme will be provided with work opportunities within private sector organizations, the public sector, UN agencies and development organizations. The goal of the NJPF is to enhance these Fellows with professional and leadership capacities thereby enabling them to positively contribute to the social and economic development prospects of Nigeria. The enrolment of an initial 20,000 Fellows is envisaged followed by a scaling up of the programme in the coming years.
- The Jubilee Fellows Programme will expand opportunities for learning to work transitions for fresh graduates in Nigeria through placement opportunities, job market information, skills transfer and facilitated learning. It is designed as a partnership platform that brings together private and public sector actors – including learning institutions to co-create and deploy to scale a viable solution that enhances youth employability, entrepreneurship, and retention of national talent.
- To this end, UNDP Nigeria is seeking a qualified Public Outreach and Communications Analyst to implement the Jubilee Fellowship communications strategy, to promote public and media outreach and to mobilize political and financial support for the Jubilee Fellowship. The Public Outreach and Communications Analyst will work in close collaboration with other team members of the Jubilee Fellowship, other UNDP CO colleagues, UNDP Communications team, Government officials, private sector entities, media outlets, Jubilee Fellows, youth networks, and multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors to ensure a successful implementation of the JFP communication strategy.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of Jubilee Fellows Team Lead (Crisis Prevention and Recovery Advisor), the Public Outreach and Communications Analyst will be responsible for the following functions and tasks:
- The work of the Public Outreach and Communications Analyst will address the key areas of awareness creation, information management and access, including:
- Facilitate the design of internal and external strategies for communication and outreach;
- Develop and implement JFP publications strategy and plan;
- Supervise the design and maintenance of the JFP web site, logos, social media platforms, end-to-end digital management system;
- Ensure increased outreach to relevant stakeholders and partners;
- Support the Facilitation of knowledge building and management
Specific Functions / Results expected:
Facilitate the design of internal and external strategies for communication and outreach:
- Conduct communications needs assessments for the Jubilee Fellowship and map out requisite communication plan;
- Implement Jubilee Fellowship communication plan and strategy in collaboration with JFP team, UNDP CO, media consultants, youth networks, private sector host entities, Government partners, Jubilee Fellows and donor partners;
- Provide guidance on inclusion of communications components in all aspects of the Jubilee Fellowship project implementation through the integration of advocacy and outreach activities.
Develop and Implement JFP Publications Strategy and Plan:
- Develop and implement JFP publications strategy and plan based on UNDP publications policy;
- Identify and develop success stories for publications and substantive articles contributing to debates on youth employment issues;
- Facilitate the coordination and management of all JFP publication activities, including content management, norms for publishing, design, liaison with printers and other suppliers to oversee production and supervision of publications dissemination;
- Assist in the preparation of communications materials, fliers, background documentation, PowerPoint presentations, visual media and other materials required for advocacy and outreach activities.
Supervise the Design and Maintenance of the JFP website, Logos, Social Media Platforms, end-to-end Digital Management System:
- Provide guidance in the design of the JFP website based on corporate requirements in cooperation with the ICT staff;
- Supervise and prepare content for the JFP website and social media platforms ensuring consistency of the materials;
- Facilitate the development and publication of blogs, articles, success stories, visual and audio campaign materials on the different components of the end-to-end digital platform.
Ensure Increased Outreach to Relevant Stakeholders and Partners:
- Conduct advocacy and promotional activities on the aim and objectives of the Jubilee Fellowship;
- Coordinate the creation and promotion of youth employment campaigns in Nigeria, highlighting the challenges, opportunities and role of the JFP;
- Develop, and disseminate JFP advocacy materials among relevant stakeholders and partners.
- Ensure increased coverage and understanding of the impact of the JFP and its alignment with the sustainable development goals through development and maintenance of media contacts and providing newsworthy information to national public and donors;
- Coordinate the formatting, packaging and submission of JFP project results for review by partners in close collaboration with programme and project staff;
- Develop and maintain close contacts with government officials, multilateral and bilateral donors, youth networks, private sector entities in the implementation of the communications strategy, through roundtable discussions, press conferences, project visits, briefing sessions, interviews, etc;
- Provide guidance in the dissemination of appropriate information to journalists, main media outlets and social media;
- Develop effective responses to public inquiries on the Jubilee Fellowship.
Support the Facilitation of knowledge building and Management:
- Identify, synthesize and disseminate best practices and lessons learned in accordance with project goals and objectives;
- Monitor practices, and project-specific news and developments in order to ensure guidance to the office that reflects the best and most current available information;
- Support the development and dissemination of project reports to donor partners, Government, private sector and other relevant partners;
- Government, private sector and other relevant partners.
- The key results are to contribute towards sustained reduction of youth unemployment rate in Nigeria.
- The results will have an impact on the overall performance of the Jubilee Fellowship in the area of Public Outreach, Advocacy and Communication.
- The Public Outreach and Communications Analyst will report to the Jubilee Fellows Team Lead (Crisis Prevention and Recovery Advisor) and may require to also have a matrix reporting to the Public Engagement, Outreach and Partnerships Lead while working in cooperation with team members in ensuring the smooth run of the programme.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Advanced Degree or equivalent in Journalism, Public Relations, Law, Human Rights, Political or Social Sciences or comparable academic preparation.
- A First-level University Degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience at the national level in public relations, communications or advocacy is required;
- Previous experience in dealing with multiple stakeholders, namely stakeholder engagement in consultation processes;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work and handle stressful conditions;
- Strong experience drafting user-friendly communication products and advocacy materials for social media, websites, traditional media such as fliers, articles, success stories, etc;
- Experience in the usage of MS Office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) some relevant simple design software and webbased management systems;
- Experience engaging at senior management level;
- Working knowledge of the UN Principles, SDGs and international development in Africa;
- Experience in the United Nations system or a comparable international organization is desirable;
- Excellent analytical and writing skills;
- Experience with inter-agency or multi-stakeholder collaboration is desirable;
- A high degree of political and cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Innovation : Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Leadership : Ability to persuade others to follow
- People Management : Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Communication : Ability to listen, adapt, persuade, and transform
- Delivery : Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Technical / Functional Competencies:
- Communications and Interpersonal Skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, ability to foster good working relations with various persons, good working knowledge of information and computer technology.
- Understanding the challenges of working in a multi-cultural environment
- Excellent writing skills in English.
- Knowledge Management Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
- Demonstrates substantive and technical knowledge to meet responsibilities and post requirements with excellence
- Uses ICT and web-based management systems effectively as a tool and resource
- Is motivated & demonstrates a capacity to pursue personal developments &learn.
- Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to motivate staff and mobilize colleagues and partners in the best interest of achieving results
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate for “Job at UNDP” should click the APPLY HERE button below and start their application.
Deadline: April 30, 2022
Share an update or tip with us on WhatsApp: 070624212243 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Receive Job Alerts through our Social Media Channels:
- WhatsApp: iR Job Alert WhatsApp
- Telegram: iR Job Alert
- Twitter: @irjobalert
- Facebook: iR Job Alert
- Instagram: @irjobalert
NOTE: Intel Region Jobs (iR Job Alert) is the leading job informant in Nigeria and not necessarily an affiliate of the employer’s company.