United Nations World Food Programme is the food-assistance branch of the United Nations and the world’s largest humanitarian organization addressing hunger and promoting food security.
WFP food aid is also directed to fight micronutrient deficiencies, reduce child mortality, improve maternal health, and combat disease, including HIV and AIDS. Food-for-work programmes help promote environmental and economic stability and agricultural production.
- To contribute to the VAM evidence base that supports food security and nutrition policies and programmes (e.g. needs assessment and situation analyses, programme design, targeting, cost effectiveness, and operational efficiency).
Key Accountabilities (Not all-inclusive)
- Contribute to the development of VAM projects and activities, plans and processes, ensuring alignment with wider WFP policies and guidance.
- Support the development of systems and tools for the monitoring and assessment of food assistance needs in line with innovative methodologies and best practice.
- Support the development of food security and vulnerability analysis and the preparation of timely reports on food assessment needs in line with wider VAM policies, processes and guidance to enable effective decision-making on the development of country strategy, policies and programmes.
- Provide assistance on the coordination of data gathering and monitoring systems ensuring that rigorous quality standards are maintained.
- Liaise with implementing partners (internal and external) to monitor ongoing projects, ensuring effective collaboration, timeliness and efficiency and highlight potential risks to project delivery.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, partners and national government to conduct vulnerability analysis to effectively inform preparedness and response activities.
- Provide support to relevant partners that are focusing on food security and nutrition issues to enable sharing of experience, lessons learned and best practice.
- Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with analysis and queries.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
- Other as required.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Education: Advanced University Degree in Economics, Food Security, Statistics, Data Science, Public Health / Nutrition, Geography or other related field, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- Experience: Minimum three (3) years post-graduate work experience in applied data science/statistics to humanitarian/development programming, demography, quantitative research, or monitoring & evaluation.
- National Professional: Fluency (level C) in the English language.
Other Specific Job Requirements (details to be determined by Hiring Managers):
- Perform data mining, processing, analysis, reporting and visualization tasks for a wide range of food security and other relevant data collected in Nigeria;
- Support standardisation and automation efforts on data quality monitoring and analysis to enable faster data processing, real time data quality monitoring;
- Work closely with country office staff to identify and design data visualisation and data architecture needs for the in-country data visualisation platform;
- Support the development of the mVAM methodology in Nigeria, focusing specifically on data quality aspects, bias correction, analysis of trends and the production of automated reports.
Desired Knowledge and Skills for Entry into the Role:
- Proven knowledge of applied statistics and statistics packages (R, SQL, SPSS, etc.);
- Proven knowledge of programming skills in R and Python;
- Experience with mobile data collection tools desirable;
- Experience with analysis in food security, nutrition and/or human development highly desirable;
- Strong client orientation;
- Strong report writing skills desirable;
- Ability to communicate and present abstract subject matter to non-technical audiences;
- Experience with WFP systems a distinct advantage.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate for “Job at World Food Programme (WFP)” should click the APPLY HERE button below and start their application.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only Nigerian nationals are eligible to apply.
- Applications must be submitted online and in English only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
- WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
- All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications.
- WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority.
- Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Deadline: March 22, 2022
Receive Job Alerts through our Social Media Channels:
- WhatsApp: iR Job Alert WhatsApp
- Telegram: iR Job Alert
- Twitter: @irjobalert
- Facebook: iR Job Alert
- Instagram: @irjobalert
EDITOR’S NOTE: Intel Region Jobs (iR Job Alert) is the leading job informant in Nigeria and not an affiliate of the employer’s company. We keep track of job information to serve you the latest opportunity available for Nigerians. Our services are free and independent. Our contact: email@example.com