The British Council is the UK’s international organization for cultural relations and educational opportunities. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body.
The British Council is committed to supporting all staff to make sure their behavior is consistent with this commitment. We create a friendly environment for our staff and high incentive.
Applications are invited from interested and qualified candidates to apply for the job vacancy at the British Council of Nigeria. See below.
Table of Contents
The Finance Consultant role manages all financial and commercial aspects of the Agents for Citizens Driven Transformation (ACT) Programme, a full cost recovery programme (FCR), in line with corporate and client/funders requirements using appropriate standards, policies, processes, systems, and procedures. The role will lead the end to end accounting process (including month and year end close), client reporting, and ensures consistent, accurate and robust financial accounting processes.
The post holder will be responsible for ensuring all financial activity is carried out accurately and effectively for the programme. The post holder will lead on the development and improvement of efficient and effective standards, policies, guidance, process and systems, act as the first point of advice and support for all teams working on specific projects, and lead on the financial aspects of the set-up of new work, renewals, extensions and the implementation of existing programmes and projects to ensure the Contractor effectively manage their financial risks, meets client requirements and maximises income generation.
Whilst reporting to the Head of Finance (Nigeria), the role will work closely with the Contracts Finance Manager, Operations Manager and the Regional Commercial Finance Manager. S/he will have a dotted reporting line to the Contracts Finance Manager and will also manage a team of one Finance Assistant.
Financial Management, Control and Compliance
- Oversee the efficiency and effectiveness of programme financial systems, procedures and strategies that are aligned to corporate (FRS102), client and statutory (IFRS) standards and meet contractual obligations.
- Manage the financial month end process, being accountable to the Head of Finance (with a dotted reporting line to the Contracts Finance Manager) for the pre-closing and month end closing steps, including maintenance of accounting records. As part of this the role will also be responsible for review and monitoring all accounting transactions and adjustments (accruals, deferrals, and provisions), including Intercompany accounting, ensuring appropriate use of these in line with accounting rules.
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of all manual journals and off-system payments, in order to guarantee compliance with relevant policies.
Financial Risk Management and Assurance
- Provide assurance on efficiency, effectiveness, and robustness of proportionate and appropriate financial risk management measures.
- Ensure all project activity is financially compliant (both corporately and according to the contract), cost-effective, delivers value for money and meets British Council and client requirements.
- Ensure due diligence checks on partner organisation financial management processes, procedures and controls as needed.
- Ensure audit requirements are considered in day-to-day project delivery and that the audit trail is visible, transparent, and maintained by all members of the team.
Financial Planning, Analysis, Budget Monitoring, Invoicing and Reporting
- Establish and maintain a contract budget monitoring tool to enable accurate monitoring and reconciliation against the contract budget, to provide commercial forecasts, to respond to British Council and client requests and to ensure that the programme budget is not overspent.
- Lead on monthly monitoring and reconciliation of project/contract budgets and work with project team to identify and report risks and issues.
- Review actual project income and expenditure monthly; ensuring accurate reliable financial data is maintained in the finance system and the project financial management toolkit.
- Provide monthly commentary on the variances as part of the budget monitoring and planning process.
- Manage any financial modifications of the contract budget working with the country and regional team.
- Manage any financial modifications of the contract budget working with the operations manager, country, and regional team, and in line with the British Council’s costing and pricing model.
- Evaluate the financial performance of the projects regularly, together with the Project Board, Senior Management Team, Country Leadership, and Regional Finance Team.
- Quality assure client financial forecasts, statements of account, financial management
Team Leadership and Stakeholder Management
- Demonstrate effective leadership of the project finance team and ensure that line management of staff is to British Council standards. Train, Coach and support individuals and teams.
- Ensure that capability and capacity in the project finance team is fit-for-purpose and able to respond flexibly to changes in the portfolio and operating context.
- Ensure Performance Management process in undertaken to meet corporate requirements.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A university degree in Finance, Accounting, or similar discipline
- Experience in comparable role(s) including working on donor funded development projects / programmes.
- Qualified accountant – ACCA or CFA – with at least 5 years post-qualification experience
- Experience of an ERP system
- Previous experience in managing and leading staff
- A postgraduate degree in Finance, Accounting or similar discipline;
- Experience of financial management of FCDO contracts
- Experience working with SAP
Role specific knowledge and experience:
- Experience in a relevant managerial and project finance environment with evidence of continuous professional development.
- A very detailed understanding of financial control processes applicable to client funded project work.
- Track record of managing key finance function in international / multinational organisation in similar context; and leading an efficient, innovative and result oriented team.
- Experience in procurement of services & goods and contracts
- Direct experience in monitoring and supporting financial management capacity building of Civil Society Organisations in receipt of client funded grants
- Financial reconciliation for high value contracts
- Ability to interpret financial data and support non-financial managers to deliver against financial performance indicators
- Experience of an ERP system (SAP preferably).
- Excel (Specialism)
Annual Pay: ₦10,989,828.00
Method of Application
Qualified and interested candidates should Apply by Clicking the Button below.
Deadline: September 7, 2023
Share an update or tip with us on WhatsApp: 07064212243 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Receive Job Alerts through our Social Media Channels:
- WhatsApp: iR Job Alert WhatsApp
- Telegram: iR Job Alert
- Twitter: @irjobalert
- Facebook: iR Job Alert
- Instagram: @irjobalert
NOTE: Intel Region Jobs (iR Job Alert) is the leading job informant in Nigeria and not necessarily an affiliate of the employer’s company.