World Bank Group – Established in 1944, the WBG is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. In fiscal year 2018, the WBG committed $67 billion in loans, grants, equity investments and guarantees to its members and private businesses, of which $24 billion was concessional finance to its poorest members.
We help developing countries achieve sustainable growth by financing investment, mobilizing capital in international financial markets, and providing advisory services to businesses and governments.
Applications are invited from interested and qualified candidates to apply for the latest job at the World Bank Group.
- Full Time
- Required Qualifications: BA/BSC/HND – MBA/MSC/MA – PhD
- Location: Abuja | Nigeria. See other Jobs in Abuja
- Join this Group to receive Job Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
Are you an Employer? Click HERE to Post A Job
The Social Development Specialist will provide direct support to clients and Bank teams on social sustainability, social risk management, and stakeholder engagement to ensure compliance with the Bank’s Environmental and Social Framework (ESF), which consists of ten Environmental and Social Standards. Responsibilities will include the following:
- Work with the Government of Nigeria on the preparation of activities to enhance the social sustainability of WB-supported operations and in resolving project implementation issues, particularly where the project has inadvertently impacted the local community adversely.
- Supervise and provide technical support to government agencies, including project implementing agencies, on the preparation and implementation of project-related social risk management activities and activities to enhance the social sustainability of projects.
- Provide timely and professionally competent technical review of social assessment products prepared for rural development, infrastructure, private sector, transport, urban, and other projects, as needed.
- Participate and supervise activities designed to manage social risks on major projects as a technical expert.
- Interact with clients at the policy and operational levels.
- Advise and participate in project teams to help develop operational designs and mechanisms to assess social opportunities, impacts, constraints, and risks related to Bank-supported operations.
- Develop and evaluate proposed technical solutions, and assist in the preparation of project design documentation, supporting reports, annexes, etc.
- Provide cross-support as required to the various teams in the portfolio and monitor adherence to the World Bank Environmental and Social Standards.
- Guide the preparation of Stakeholder Engagement Plans to ensure that the level of consultations is proportional to project risks and impacts and monitor implementation.
- Support dialogues on the implementation of the Environmental and Social Framework with policymakers and government officials, international development partners, civil society, and other stakeholders, and coordinate the Bank’s relations with clients on social development.
- Participate in and play an active role in portfolio reviews on social sustainability and social risk management.
- Make recommendations on strategies and policy options for counterparts in local and central government agencies.
- Advise government counterpart agencies on policy options for social risk management, particularly resettlement, social risk mitigation planning, and institutional capacity development.
- Work closely with environmental colleagues to enhance the capacity of the client to implement the Bank’s new environmental and social framework for managing project risks and enhancing the sustainability of World Bank-financed projects.
- Participate and contribute to formal and informal analytical advisory activities and research work on key social development issues, notably related to child labor and child protection, local governance and service delivery, gender mainstreaming, and land property and tenure rights.
- Participate in developing sustainable local and national consultation mechanisms and strategies.
- Deliver ESF training on specific social standards and tailored it to individual projects to strengthen client capacity.
- Supervise the work of consultants and technical specialists to ensure consistency and conformity to Bank standards.
- Participate in cross-practice teams responsible for the preparation of policy notes, Systematic Country Diagnostics, Country Partnership Frameworks, sector studies, and research and policy development activities on the full range of social development topics.
- Identify potential partnerships as well as new opportunities for engagement around social development aimed at advancing social development in general and social risk management.
- Work as an active member of the Country Office and Country Team; engage in the Bank-wide professional community of staff in Social Sustainability and Inclusion.
- Work independently under the general direction of the Regional Standards Coordinator (RSC) and seek advice from RSC and from senior members of the Social Sustainability and Inclusion team when needed.
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive Prompt Job Alert on WhatsApp
Qualifications and Requirements:
This is a challenging position suited to constructive, highly motivated team players with an eye for detail, an understanding of the bigger picture context of operations, and creative problem-solving abilities. The successful candidate should have strong social risk management skills, analytical skills, practical experience with participatory processes of stakeholder engagement, and be able to integrate socially sustainable and inclusive development considerations in an operational context. Experience working in complex and challenging settings is highly desirable.
- Master’s degree or Ph.D. in social sciences (anthropology, sociology, political economy, social development, etc.)
- A minimum of five (5) years of directly relevant professional experience in social sustainability and social standards/safeguards and/or social development (voice and participation, gender, community-driven development, citizen engagement).
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in addressing issues covered by the World Bank’s Environmental and Social Framework (ESF) and social safeguards policies or similar policies in other international financial institutions in Nigeria This includes experience with social assessments and analyzing social risks and impacts on different population groups; involuntary resettlement in different socio-economic contexts and tenure systems; Indigenous Peoples’ issues; coordination of transparent consultative and stakeholder engagement processes; grievance redress mechanisms, integration of relevant planning instruments such as Resettlement Action Plans and Indigenous Peoples Plans in overall project planning and implementation; labor and working conditions (in particular child labor); community health and safety; and cultural heritage.
- Experience in social sustainability and risk management policy development, including dialogue with governments, and collaboration in these areas with other international development agencies.
- Solid track record in conducting analytical work related to social development and the implications of social issues on policy, institutions, and operations; experience in deriving results that resonate with the client.
- Experience with consultative and participatory approaches to project design and implementation.
- Grievance redress mechanisms to ensure accountability and problem-solving in a timely fashion.
- Experience in areas of social inclusion such as gender; conflict, fragility, violence; and disability.
- Demonstrated experience in interacting with governments to bring about changes to the policy.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate needs in the field and to conduct independent policy discussions with representatives of the government and non-government partners to develop strategies to meet these needs.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, problem-solving, and team skills, and ability to think innovatively and strategically to find balanced solutions to complex development problems, with a strong client focus.
- Achieves results and identifies mission-driven solutions for the client; acts with integrity at all times to build trust and to create an enabling work environment, whether as a team leader or a team member; recommends and takes decisive action.
- Demonstrated ability to create, apply and share knowledge from a range of sources to strengthen internal and or external client solutions.
- Very high level of energy, initiative, and self-motivation; willingness to travel and work under challenging circumstances.
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English are essential.
Method of Application
Qualified and interested candidate should Apply by Clicking the Button below.
Deadline: December 26, 2022
Share an update or tip with us on WhatsApp: 07064212243 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Receive Job Alerts through our Social Media Channels:
- WhatsApp: iR Job Alert WhatsApp
- Telegram: iR Job Alert
- Twitter: @irjobalert
- Facebook: iR Job Alert
- Instagram: @irjobalert
NOTE: Intel Region Jobs (iR Job Alert) is the leading job informant in Nigeria and not necessarily an affiliate of the employer’s company.