United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
UNICEF offers a range of challenging and exciting opportunities across its key functional areas of work. We offer an attractive remuneration package with competitive pay and benefits.
Applications are invited from interested and qualified candidates to apply for the Latest Vacancies at UNICEF.
Under the supervision of Education Specialist, the Education Officer provides professional technical, operational and administrative assistance throughout the programming process for education programmes/projects within the Country Programme from development planning to delivery of results, preparing, executing, managing and implementing a variety of technical and administrative programme tasks to facilitate programme development, implementation, programme progress monitoring, evaluating and reporting
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- Support to programme development and planning
- Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Technical and operational support to programme implementation
- Networking and partnership building
- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A university degree in a subject area relevant to information management is required.
- A minimum of two years of professional experience in programme planning, management, and/or research in education is required.
- Experience working in an emergency context is considered as an asset.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of the local language at the duty station are required.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability and Sustainability (CRITAS) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: https://uni.cf/UNICEFValues
UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drives to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
- The Security Manager reports to the Representative and maintains a direct technical reporting line with the Regional Security Adviser (RSA) (Matrix Management).
- The Security Manager is responsible for advising the Representative and Country Office management on their security duties and responsibilities in accordance with the UN and the UNICEF Security Framework of Accountability.
- The Security Manager contributes to the UNICEF mandate and security strategy through the effective implementation of a strong security risk management process.
- The Security Manager manages, on behalf of the Representative, all security activities in support of the country.
- The Security Manager implements and manages security activities at the duty station in close coordination with all members of the UN Security Management System (UNSMS) including the UN Department of Safety and Security and UN Agencies, Funds, Programmes and Organizations (AFPO) as well as INGO partners in line with the Saving Lives Together policy.
- As a member of the UN Security Cell, s/he contributes to the development of assessments, procedures and guidelines including Security Risk Management (SRMs), Country Security Risk Management Measures (SRM-M) and the relevant Security Plan(s).
Summary of Key Functions / Accountabilities
Security Risk Management and Planning:
- Advises the Representative in the execution of her/his duties with regards to the security of UNICEF personnel and eligible family members, premises, and in accordance with UN and UNICEF Security Management Systems.
- Assist CO Representative and Heads of Offices, as appropriate, to review Security Risk Management processes (SRMs) and undertake specific or ad-hoc Security Risk Management processes as required; work closely with UNDSS C/SAs and other agency security professionals to ensure security documents are gender and disability inclusive.
- Assists the UN Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) as appropriate and participates as a member of the Security Cell established by UNDSS. Attends as an observer, all SMT/ASMT meetings.
- Through the Security Cell, provides advice and recommendations on all Security Documentation, including SRMs and Security Plans, and manages the implementation of SRM-Measures, Residential Security Measures (RSM), provisions of the relevant Security Plans and other relevant policies, guidelines, and assessments within UNICEF.
- Prepares, maintains, and updates UNICEF security documentation including security contingency plans and provides the Representative, the RSA and the Office of the Security Coordination (OSC) with mandatory reports in accordance with UNICEF security reporting guidelines. This includes the monitoring/reporting on security compliance and the submission of all Security Incident Reports (SIRs).
- Monitors the security situation and provides independent and comprehensive analysis with the goal of identifying trends and predicting the specific conditions that would impact on the security of UNICEF personnel and eligible family members, premises, assets and programmes to inform decision making.
- Supervises, evaluates, and reviews security activities in support of UNICEF operations and participates, coordinates and/or undertakes security risk management processes for all locations where UNICEF personnel and eligible family members are present.
- Ensures that UNICEF personnel are kept informed of matters affecting their security and the actions to take in the event of an emergency including those identified in the area Security Plans as it relates to UNICEF.
- Oversees the establishment of an effective and functioning communications system for security management within UNICEF that is fully integrated into the UN Emergency Communications System.
- Coordinates with UNDSS to ensure all UNICEF personnel undertake all mandatory security training/briefings and participate in all security related contingency exercises.
- Develop and conduct security training for UNICEF personnel as required.
- Ensures security surveys of international personnel residences are completed in accordance with the Residential Security Measures (RSM).
- Provide technical oversight for UNICEF contracted security providers such as guards service.
- Supervise and mentor UNICEF Security professionals in the country
- Oversee the recruitment of additional UNICEF Security personnel, if required.
Programmatic Security Information Analysis:
- Provides analysis to understand security dynamics. Ensure the analysis addresses environmental, socio-economic and political factors that make geographical areas difficult to access and have an impact on the delivery of UNICEF programmes.
- Works closely with the UNICEF personnel in country to ensure security considerations are mainstreamed into programmes, and integrate all relevant analysis and security measures into the planning and implementation of UNICEF activities.
- Support UNICEF management in the development and implementation of access strategies, preparedness plans, and programme contingency plans as required.
Security Networking and Partnership Building:
- Establishes contact and maintains networks with UNSMS, I/NGO, diplomatic, and international community security advisors and relevant local authorities as appropriate.
- Collaborate and coordinate with UNDSS and the Security Cell to enable UNICEF activities.
- Ensures that security collaboration with NGOs working as UNICEF implementing partners is undertaken, in coordination with UNDSS, and consistent with the SLT framework.
Security Compliance Monitoring:
- Monitor that the Country Offices complies with and periodically exercise security procedures/protocols and guidelines including: Security Risk Management Measures (SRM-M) and UNICEF’s Global Security Compliance platform.
- Review proposals for country and area Security Risk Management measures (SRM-M), Residential Security Measures (RSMs), Local cost shared security budget (LCCSB), and other relevant security documents and provide advice when warranted.
Innovation, Knowledge Management and Capacity Building:
- Introduces technological innovations and approaches to security procedures and systems.
- Institutionalizes and shares best practices and knowledge learned.
- Organizes, plans and/or implements capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders on security related preparedness and operations.
- Provide briefings and presentations to UNICEF senior managers with security responsibilities on current and new UN security policies, guidelines and tools;
- Ensure training provided is gender and disability inclusive
Qualifications and Requirements:
- An Advanced University Degree (Master’s or higher) is required Or a First University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- A minimum of eight years of relevant professional experience in security risk management and/or security analysis is required.
- Demonstrated international security management experience in emergency and/or conflict contexts and understanding of the United Nations Security Management System are required. Experience in the region would be considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate:
- UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should apply by clicking on the BUTTONS below.
Deadline: November 28, 2022
Share an update or tip with us on WhatsApp: 07064212243 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Receive Job Alerts through our Social Media Channels:
- WhatsApp: iR Job Alert WhatsApp
- Telegram: iR Job Alert
- Twitter: @irjobalert
- Facebook: iR Job Alert
- Instagram: @irjobalert
NOTE: Intel Region Jobs (iR Job Alert) is the leading job informant in Nigeria and not necessarily an affiliate of the employer’s company.