The Nigerian Electricity Supply Corporation (Nigeria) Limited commenced operations in Nigeria in 1929 and has developed and operates generation, transmission and distribution systems to supply areas within the Plateau State and adjacent states.
The company harnessed hydro resources to generate electricity. It is important to note that NESCO is not to be confused with the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), which is an independent regulatory body with authority for the regulation of the electric power industry in Nigeria.
Applications are invited from interested and qualified candidates to apply for the Nigerian Electricity Supply Corporation Latest Recruitment 2023.
Table of Contents
- In its drive to ensure improved and sustained efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery of its mandate with strategic leadership and management, NESCO (Nigeria) Limited is seeking to recruit fully qualified, highly motivated, and well-experienced persons to fill highly rewarding vacant positions of Generation Manager that have arisen in the Corporation.
- The cited highly demanding vacant positions require persons who have demonstrable capacity to initiate innovations geared at making NESCO (Nigeria) Limited a rejuvenated, vibrant, and competitive power utility company.
- The right interested candidates with prospects to build a meaningful career within the Electricity Supply Industry are therefore excitedly invited to apply for the positions.
Purpose of the Position
- The Generation Manager shall be responsible to the Chief Operations Officer (COO) in the performance of his/her duties and responsibilities to effectively manage the Power Generation Department functions of the Nigerian Electricity Supply Corporation (Nigeria) Limited.
- This is a challenging position requiring a professionally qualified and experienced executive who is visionary, dynamic as well as pragmatic.
- He/She shall efficiently and effectively manage the subordinate staff in the Generation Department to ensure that the deadlines are met and operational & maintenance standards are maintained.
Key Duties and Responsibilities for the Position
The Generation Manager’s key duties and responsibilities are many and varied.
Specifically, He/She shall be responsible, but not limited, for the following duties and responsibilities:
- Supervising, directing, evaluating, and coordinating staff of Generation Department by providing leadership in administration and management of power plant in order to achieve efficient and effective generation of electrical energy and management of staff to ensure optimum power plant performance, availability and reliability.
- Directing and guiding the Generation Department in the preparation of inputs to the Corporation’s Strategic and Business Plans and ensuring the submissions address the requirements of the Corporation’s Vision, Mission and Objectives.
- Representing the Generation Department in the Corporation’s strategic and business planning processes through effective participation in Strategic and Business Plans formulation, consolidation, implementation, monitoring and periodic reviews.
- Representing the Corporation on water and power generation related forums and symposia.
- For each Section of the Generation Department, ensuring that Action Plans are derived from the Corporation’s strategic and business plans, and in liaison with other Department Heads, that the material, human and financial resources are available in the short and long term for smooth implementation of such plans.
- Together with other Management Team members, leading Corporation change strategies and programmes and liaising with other Departments for the smooth and efficient running of various functions of the Corporation.
- Guiding the Generation Department in formulation of policies and efficiencies, technical or otherwise, relating to generation operation, maintenance and engineering functions and set goals in the Corporation.
- Developing and maintaining power generation strategies along with related key power generation objectives and monitor delivery in a key performance indicator environment.
- Ensuring timely preparation of the revenue and capital budgets to facilitate translating into action the requirements in the Corporate Strategic and Business Plans relating to Generation Department.
- Monitoring and controlling overall cost effectiveness of the power stations through the Generation Department’s revenue and capital expenditure controls.
- Continuous monitoring of operational progress for each Section or Power Plant in the Generation Department and taking appropriate action, always making necessary adjustments to strategy implementation as dictated by available resources.
- Developing, implementing, monitoring, reviewing and updating maintenance procedures & schedules.
- Providing oversight for correct operation and maintenance of power plant and associated ancillary equipment by ensuring that operations and maintenance are properly/correctly managed & maintained at all times to ensure smooth operations with emphasis on quality & reliability of supply
- Initiating & overseeing routine & major maintenance of the power plants to enhance/sustain performance & keep systems functioning at peak times and ensuring optimum allocation of responsibilities to staff under his charge in line with business needs by marrying individual competences to business needs as need arises.
- In liaison with the Planning & Development Department, preparing detailed programs/plans for and providing oversight for major overhaul, refurbishment and modernization of the Corporation’s power plants and ancillary equipment as well as short-term, medium-term, and long-term power plant requirements including carrying out technical and financial appraisals.
- Managing Procurement Department/Unit to ensure that subordinate staff are motivated to work in line with the corporate goals, assessing their abilities, setting targets and monitoring their performance, identify and recommend their training needs;
- Developing manpower requirements and preparing staff development programs for Generation Department through conducting skills gap analysis by comparing competences required by the Corporation business with current staff competences.
- Ensuring compliance with relevant laws, regulations & policies as well as a safe, healthy & positive work environment.
- Compiling and submitting regular performance reports including monthly, quarterly, mid-year & annual reports and other reports as required to the MD/CEO and the Board.
- Advising Management on issues pertaining to Generation Department.
- Carrying out any other duties within the Generation Manager’s capacity as assigned by the Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer from time to time.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- To be considered for this role, the ideal candidates should have a minimum qualification of a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or Higher National Diploma (HND) with Post Graduate Diploma (PGD) plus Master’s Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering from a recognized University or Polytechnic. Those with a relevant Master’s Degree will have an added advantage.
- The Applicants must also be registered members of engineering professional bodies including the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN) as Engineers.
- They must have at least eight (8) years substantial practical relevant post qualifying hands-on working experience in the planning, design, construction, operations, and maintenance of major engineering works with a strong bias towards power generation plants of which at least (3) years should be at Management Level. Applicants with actual hydro power plants operations, maintenance refurbishment/overhaul, modernisation and upgrade experience will have a strong added advantage.
Required Key/Core Competencies, Attributes, and Skills:
The required candidate should have the following competences, skills and attributes:
- Have ability to handle complex work planning and implementation to meet both targets and budget, under minimal supervision (self-starter, high initiative);
- Have ability to analyse and coming up with solutions to challenges in construction, operation, maintenance and development of hydro-power generation infrastructure and other associated works, (Excellent problem-solving skills);
- Have ability to undertake multiple tasks under confined environments (Highly multi-skilled);
- Have a passion for power utility developments;
- Demonstrate strong leadership abilities and organisational skills;
- Have a high degree of civil engineering skills;
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and able to deal with a diverse workforce;
- Be self-motivated, a team player and results oriented;
- Be of high integrity; and Have excellent negotiation skills.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications, under confidential Cover Letter, either by post, courier or e-mail, enclosing Copies of Certificates, detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) with full contact details and names, residential/postal and e-mail addresses and telephone numbers of Three (3) Traceable Referees to:email@example.com. (Tip: Learn how to write a Professional CV).
The Managing Director,
Nigerian Electricity Supply Corporation (Nigeria) Limited,
10 Barkin Ladi Road,
P. O. Box 15,
Bukuru, Jos South,
Deadline: September 13, 2023
Share an update or tip with us on WhatsApp: 07064212243 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Receive Job Alerts through our Social Media Channels:
- WhatsApp: iR Job Alert WhatsApp
- Telegram: iR Job Alert
- Twitter: @irjobalert
- Facebook: iR Job Alert
- Instagram: @irjobalert
NOTE: Intel Region Jobs (iR Job Alert) is the leading job informant in Nigeria and not necessarily an affiliate of the employer’s company.