Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA), is a top ranking University of technology in Nigeria and indeed the nation’s pride. Established in 1981, the university has grown tremendously, stretching its academic disciplines and research across six different schools and over thirty academic departments.
Applications are invited from interested and qualified candidates to apply for University Librarian at Federal University of Akure (FUTA)
- There will be a vacancy in the post of University Librarian of the Federal University of Technology, Akure with effect from 1st August, 2022.
- Consequently, the Governing Council of the University has decided to commence in earnest the due process for the appointment of a University Librarian in accordance with the provisions of the Universities of Technology Act as cited in Chapter F23 of the Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004; and University Act.
The University Library:
- The Albert llemobade Library (AIL) is the major repository of all academic resources (books, journals, theses, government documents, (etc.) which serves the needs of both staff and students of the University as well as other interested users in the Community. The Albert llemobade Library (AIL) is the epicenter of academic information of the University
- The University Library, in her over 30 decades of service to the University community and her environs; has grown in size, scope of operation and social responsibility. The University Library moved to its permanent ultra-modern building which covers a floor space area of 1,614.74sq.m and can sit 2,500 readers at a time.
- The University Library is endowed with a team of qualified professional, support and technical staff and state-of-the-art facilities that enable it to continue to fulfill its mandate of delivering effective service in supporting teaching, learning, research and scholarship and also, providing excellent resourceful and useroriented services to her user community.
- The University Librarian is a Principal Officer of the University Candidates for the post shall be visionary, have the ability to provide good leadership and command respect and loyalty of staff of the University Library.
- Candidates must also possess personal integrity and demonstrate transparency in private and public life.
- The University Librarian is responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for the overall administration and coordination of the University Library, its branches and extensions and providing services for the entire University community. he/she will be required to administer the Albert llemobade Library AIL) and to develop it to meet the University’s increasing needs especially its post-graduate and research programmes. In addition, he/she is responsible for:
- Framing Library policies and making personal contacts and liaising with Departments on book requirements as well as giving professional advice on library matters;
- Preparing Library Budgets.
- Establishing policy for library exchange.
- Engaging in matters of common interest for the benefit of readers and users of the Library.
- Performing other duties that may be assigned by the Vice-Chancellor
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Possess a good honour’s Degree, Master’s Degree in Library Studies (MLS) and Ph.D;
- Have at least fifteen (15) years of cognate experience working in academic library;
- Not be below the rank of a Deputy University Librarian;
- Have scholarly publications in reputable journals;
- Must be members of the following:
- Librarian Registration Council of Nigeria
- Nigeria Library Association; and
- Be highly computer literate and proficient in relevant computer applications as applicable to the running of a complex and modern University Library.
Conditions of Service
- The appointment shall be for a single term of five (5) years and may be extended for a further period of one year only, after which the Librarian shall relinquish the post and be assigned to other duties in the University if an internal candidate.
- The appointment is further governed by the Federal Government Establishment circulars as may be adopted by the Governing Council from time to time. Fringe benefits include furnished accommodation, an official vehicle, a driver and other benefits as approved by the Governing Council.
- The successful candidate will be entitled, to the salary and other conditions of service as are applicable to the Librarian in any Federal University in Nigeria.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send twenty five (25) copies of their detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) duly signed and dated by the applicant. The Curriculum Vitae must contain the following:
- Candidate’s Name in full
- Place and date of birth
- Marital status
- Number and ages of children
- Academic qualifications
- Degrees with classes (copies of certificates to be enclosed),
- Administrative and managerial experience
- Academic distinctions
- Membership of professional bodies.
- Statement of the candidate’s own Vision for the Library of the Federal University of Technology, Akure as a Library of the 21″ Century (25 copies).
- Candidate must nominate (3) referees who MUST forward references on him/her directly to the Registrar and Secretary to Council. Such references should attest to the candidate’s claims to high administrative capability as well as his/her moral standing and must be received and signed for in the Office of the Registrar on or before 1600 hours on Friday, 27 May, 2022.
Applications are to be submitted under confidential cover in envelopes marked “Post of University Librarian, FUTA”, at the Upper left hand corner, to reach:
The Registrar and Secretary to Council,
Federal University of Technology,
P.M.B. 704, Akure,
Ondo State, Nigeria.
Deadline: May 13, 2022
Receive Job Alerts through our Social Media Channels:
- WhatsApp: iR Job Alert WhatsApp
- Telegram: iR Job Alert
- Twitter: @irjobalert
- Facebook: iR Job Alert
- Instagram: @irjobalert
NOTE: Intel Region Jobs (iR Job Alert) is the leading job informant in Nigeria and not necessarily an affiliate of the employer’s company.