OCHA is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies
OCHA’s mission is to: Mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors in order to alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies.
Applications are invited from interested and qualified candidates to apply for UNOCHA Graduate Intern Recruitment
Intern - Public Information
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations (UN) Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response efforts. OCHA’s mission is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors in order to alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies; advocate the rights of people in need; promote preparedness and prevention and facilitate sustainable solutions.
This internship advertisement is to fill an internship position located in the OCHA Nigeria office in Abuja. The intern reports to the Head of the Public Information and Communication Unit. Selected intern will be expected to serve for an initial period of two (2) to four (4) months, with a possibility for extension, depending on the needs of OCHA and the availability of the selected candidate. The internship is unpaid.
The intern will play a key role in launching and managing the social media channels for the OCHA Nigeria country office and the intern’s daily responsibilities will consist of supporting the Public Information and Communication unit:
- Tracks, researches and analyses information on assigned topics/issues; gathers information from diverse sources and helps to assess news value and other potential impact, as well as to evaluate the effectiveness of information campaigns.
- Drafts/compiles a specific type or types (e.g. print, broadcast, etc.), of information communications products for target audiences, to include press releases, media packets and reports, brochures, briefings, video clips, newsletters, websites, etc.
- Organizes the clearance, production and distribution of information material; conducts photo and graphic research.
- Prepares, on the basis of official UN documentation and other sources, initials drafts of articles or chapters for inclusion in UN newsletters, periodicals, reports and books.
- In consultation with others identifies and proposes information opportunities, activities and approaches, taking into account the situation/topic and target audience.
- Identifies key contacts/constituencies and opportunities for strategic partnerships to facilitate communication efforts and maintains working relationships with the same.
- Organizes or participates in the organization of conferences, seminar, press briefings, interviews, etc.; prepares briefing materials for senior officials prior to their participation in such events.
- Responds to a variety of inquiries and information requests internally and externally; prepares related correspondence.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Requirements:
CLIENT ORIENTATION: considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients “and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
COMMUNICATION: speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
TEAMWORK: works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
- Applicants must meet one of the following requirements: (a) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); (b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or (c) have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation from an academic programme.
- Applicants who are unable to commence the internship within one year of graduation shall not be accepted.
- The University degree must be in the area of Journalism, International Relations, Humanitarian Response, Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, Design or other relevant field.
- No working experience is required to apply for the United Nations Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the United Nations during your internship.
- Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required.
- A complete online application (e.g. Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. The Cover Note must include:
- Title of degree you are currently pursuing
- Graduation date (when you will be graduating from the programme)
- List the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in
- Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship
- Explain your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme
- Dates of your availability
- In your online Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, if any, IT skills and three references. Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate for “UNOCHA Graduate Intern Recruitment” should click the APPLY HERE button below and start their application.
Deadline: March 20, 2022
Receive Job Alerts through our Social Media Channels:
- WhatsApp: iR Job Alert WhatsApp
- Telegram: iR Job Alert
- Twitter: @irjobalert
- Facebook: iR Job Alert
- Instagram: @irjobalert
EDITOR’S NOTE: Intel Region Jobs (iR Job Alert) is the leading job informant in Nigeria and not an affiliate of the employer’s company. We keep track of job information to serve you the latest opportunity available for Nigerians. Our services are free and independent. Our contact: firstname.lastname@example.org