US Embassy – A diplomatic mission is a group of people from one state or an international inter-governmental organisation (such as the United Nations) present in another state to represent the sending state/organisation officially in the receiving state.
In practice, a diplomatic mission usually denotes the resident mission, namely the office of a country’s diplomatic representatives in the capital city of another country. As well as being a diplomatic mission to the country in which it is situated, it may also be a non-resident permanent mission to one or more other countries. There are thus resident and non-resident embassies.
Applications are invited from interested and qualified candidates to apply for Vacancy at US Embassy
Announcement Number: Abuja-2022-002
Hiring Agency: Embassy Abuja
Series / Grade: LE – 0550 11
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hour per week
Promotion Potential: LE-11
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply / Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 04. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and / or clearances / certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- The incumbent serves as a Public Health Specialist coordinating infection prevention and control (IPC) activities at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) office at the U.S. Embassy in Abuja, Nigeria.
- The incumbent will work closely with the International Infection Control Program (IICP) within the Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion (DHQP) at CDC headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Under the supervision of CDC Nigeria’s Program Director for the Division of Global Health Protection (DGHP), the incumbent will assist CDC Nigeria, DHQP / IICP, and partners in the implementation of activities to strengthen and build IPC capacity in Nigeria to prevent and respond to healthcare-associated transmission of diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and antimicrobial resistance (AMR), which are key priorities under the Global Health Security Agenda (GHSA).
- The incumbent serves as the IPC technical advisor and primary liaison between CDC Nigeria and DHQP / IICP to the Nigerian Federal Ministry of Health (FMoH) and its implementing agencies including the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), other Government of Nigeria ministries, implementing partners, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), collaborating USG agencies, and other CDC programs.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- MD / MBBS Degree is required.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in developing, implementing, and / or evaluating public health programs and coordinating with international agencies or implementing partners is required, 2 years of these should be experience in working in a clinical health setting.
- Experience working in IPC in low- and middle-income countries. Additional one year of management experience is required.
- In order to support the host Government and implementing partners in the development and strengthening of effective program activities, a professional knowledge foundation in public health is required. This includes a thorough understanding of current infectious disease issues, disease surveillance and reporting, laboratory systems and information systems, and clinical care and treatment.
- Detailed knowledge of the Nigerian health care system and structures and familiarity with FMoH policies, program priorities, and regulations is required.
- Knowledge of CDC and USG infectious diseases and other public health programs, strategies, methods, processes and techniques used to plan, develop, implement and evaluate results of public health programs is required.
- A good working knowledge of team management techniques to plan, organize and direct multi-disciplinary project teams and activities is required.
- This may be tested. Applicants must specify level of proficiency in the language(s) listed in order to be considered.
- Fluent speaking / reading / writing English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Position requires a highly motivated and well-trained public health professional with strong leadership and interpersonal skills to work with all levels of staff in a team setting to accomplish program goals.
- Strong oral and written communication skills are required in order to convey program progress, technical requirements, and to develop and maintain effective working relationships with collaborative organizations engaged in IPC activities.
- Strong working knowledge of computer software programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. is required. Experience using Office 365, MS Teams, SharePoint, and other Office 365 programs and/or willingness to learn new technology is required.
- Ability to gather, analyze and interpret quantitative data, provide factual and interpretive reports and communicate findings to a variety of audiences is required.
- Ability to develop, understand and discuss new program design, management and implementation approaches is required.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a high-performance environment under tight deadlines is required.
- Good working knowledge of team management techniques to plan, organize and direct multi-disciplinary project teams and activities is required.
- Basic understanding of overall administrative requirements in support of memoranda of understanding and cooperative agreements is preferred.
- The incumbent must also have skills in diplomacy in order to work effectively with the Ministries of Health (MOH), World Health Organization (WHO), Department of State (DOS), Embassies, and international public health entities.
- Standard typing / keyboard skills are required.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
NGN 15,890,203 / USD $58,767 Yearly.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate for “Vacancy at US Embassy” should click the APPLY HERE button below and start your application.
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Degree (not transcript)
- Certificate or License
For EFMs, in addition to the above:
- Copy of Orders / Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.
Deadline: February 1, 2022
Receive Job Alerts through our Social Media Channels:
- WhatsApp: iR Job Alert WhatsApp
- Telegram: iR Job Alert
- Twitter: @irjobalert
- Facebook: iR Job Alert
- Instagram: @irjobalert
EDITOR’S NOTE: Intel Region Jobs (iR Job Alert) is the leading job informant in Nigeria and not an affiliate of the employer’s company. We keep track of job information to serve you the latest opportunity available for Nigerians. Our services are free and independent. Our contact: [email protected]