Apart from him being a former police chief, here are some other things you need to know about him.
1. Mustapha Adebayo Balogun was born on August 25, 1947 and hailed from Ila Orogun, Osun state.
2. He attended the University of Lagos, graduating in 1972 with a B.A. in Political Science, and joined the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) in May 1973.
3. While a police officer, he gained a law degree from the University of Ibadan.
4. After working in various positions around the country, he became Principal Staff Officer to former Inspector-General of Police, Muhammadu Gambo, then Deputy Commissioner of Police in Edo State.
5. He was once a Commissioner of Police in Delta State, Rivers State and Abia State.
6. He was also once an Assistant Inspector General of Police in A.I.G Zone One Kano state.
7. Balogun was appointed IGP in March 2002 by the then President Olusegun Obasanjo.
8. In 2003, he organised extensive security measures across Nigeria to ensure that there were no disturbances during the Commonwealth of Nations summit.
9. He was convicted in 2005 on eight charges of corruption, had his corruption case reopened in 2020.
10. He was the Nigeria’s 11th Inspector General of Police. Succeded by Sunday Ehindero and preceded by Musiliu Smith.