No fewer than 17 persons were injured as hoodlums attacked the convoy of the All Progressive Congress, APC, Senatorial candidate for Kano Central, Abdulsalam Zaura.
It was gathered that the incident occurred on Saturday night, December 17, 2022, when the Senatorial candidate went on a condolence visit at Gayawa village in Ungogo Local Government Area and was attacked around Gadar Katako of Rimin Kebe, bordering Nassarawa and Ungogo Local Governments on their way returning back.
Confirming the incident in a statement yesterday, Zaura’s media aide, Ibrahim Mua’azzam said no fewer than 17 of the supporters were injured in the attack and were receiving treatment at the Murtala Muhammad Specialist Hospital in the state.
According to him, “An interim assessment of the damage caused by this act has so far revealed 17 minor and major casualties. The major casualties are undergoing treatment at the Murtala Muhammad Specialists Hospital. We also have 17 Cars damaged.
“Zaura want to assure victims of the attack that they would be taken care of absolutely. We can also assure you that all legal means will be taken against the culprit and I can tell you they would be brought to book,” Mua’azzam stated.
In a related development, the APC in Osun State has stated that the news of the withdrawal of the Department of State Services (DSS) personnel from the security details of Governor Ademola Adeleke is a bad omen.
The party also stated that the news of the insult on the DSS personnel was an unsavoury development which has placed the State in the news for negative reasons.
Unconfirmed reports have it that personnel of the DSS attached to the Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke were being insulted in the course of carrying out their duty, a development which made the DSS headquarters to direct a withdrawal of its personnel attached to the governor.
Reacting to the development, spokesperson to Governor Adeleke, Mallam Olawale Rasheed said the government was still at its formative stage and was setting up its structures.
The governor’s spokesperson assured the members of the public that there was no cause for alarm over the incident.
“The Executive Governor is still setting up his team from security to other areas of the new government. Many issues are being addressed.
“So on this particular one, I can assure you there is nothing like a crisis or otherwise. If there is an inter-agency rivalry, relevant authorities will address it.
“I can assure the public that there is no cause for alarm. This administration is still at a formative stage,” he said.
In an official reaction on Sunday, the Osun State Government disclosed that it was a minor disagreement between the DSS and the Nigeria Police Force.
Through a statement signed by the governor’s spokesperson, Olawale Rasheed, Adeleke stated that the matter had been reported to the headquarters of the two security agencies for resolution.
Reacting, Kola Olabisi, the Osun APC Director of Media, who spoke on behalf of the Osun Acting APC Chairman, Sooko Tajudeen Lawal said that the development was a shame as Governor Adeleke and his handlers could extend their hostility to statutory security men who were carrying out their lawful duty.
Lawal alleged that Osun State, which was once one of the most peaceful States in Nigeria, had now become a theatre of violence and confusion because of the governor and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
“The beating saga was an indication that Adeleke was seriously bereft of what to do with power as one can’t give what he doesn’t possess.
“This is a passing phase in the ugly and most uninteresting political history of our State when absurdities are the characteristics of the PDP government at the helm of affairs.
“We are happy that we, in the APC, have been vindicated about the incompetence and ill-preparation of Adeleke to function effectively as a State governor,” Lawal submitted.
While submitting that the truth would soon catch up with the lies of the PDP, Lawal also appealed to the people of the State to remain steadfast.