The Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mahmood Yakubu has said continuous attacks on the facilities of the commission may render it unprepared for the 2023 general election.
The INEC chairman disclosed this Friday, Decmeber 16, 2022, at an investigative hearing by an ad hoc committee of the House of Representatives investigating the attacks on the facilities of the commission.
He told the lawmakers that the commission cannot bear further attacks on its facilities ahead of the elections on 25 February and 11 March.
There have been renewed attacks on INEC facilities in some parts of the country. In the past couple of months, the commission’s offices were attacked in Osun, Ogun, Ebonyi, Imo, and Anambra States.
In several instances, the facilities were burnt down by arsonists, while in some cases, personnel were attacked by armed men.
Last week, the lower chamber resolved to investigate attacks after a motion moved by Kunle Olanrewaju (APC, Ekiti). Speaker Femi Gbajabiamila consequently set up an ad hoc committee to investigate the attacks.
n his presentation, Mr Yakubu said the commission has been able to replace damaged assets in the recent attacks, but that it cannot bear further attacks.
Mr Yakubu informed the lawmakers that the commission will use rented spaces as an alternative to the facilities burnt down by the attackers.
He, however, warned that there must be concerted efforts to stop the attacks which could overwhelm the commission if allowed to continue.