The bandits leader, Sani Idris Jalingo, had on Monday in an interview with Voice of America (VOA) Hausa confirmed that 17 students, including 15 females and a two males, were remaining their custody after killing five penultimate week.
Jalingo threatened the 17 students would be killed if N100 million and 10 Honda brand motorcycles, popularly known as Boko Haram, were not delivered to his gang as ransom by the end of Tuesday 4th May.
Although the mother of the freed student, Mrs. Lauritta Attahiru said she can’t talk on the matter when contacted by journalists, she had earlier confirmed her son’s release to Channels Television.
Mrs. Attahiru, who refused to give details of how her son was released or whether ransom was paid, simply said her son had been released.
Although police and government authorities were yet to confirm the development, it was gathered by The Nation that a ransom of N20 million was paid for the student’s release.
Some of the parents also confirmed the student was released after his mother, who is the wife of a retired Army officer, negotiated and paid ransom to the bandits privately.
The Parents of the kidnapped students had Today staged a protest at the National Assembly in Abuja demanding for the Government’s intervention to rescue their children from the hands of the kidnappers.