BREAKING: Nigerian air force denies bombing Yobe community, despite reports of casualties

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has denied reports linking one of its fighter jets to the bombing of a community in Yobe State. 

In a statement on Wednesday, the NAF spokesman, Air Commodore Edward Gabkwet explained that the agency last conducted a mission in Yobe State earlier in the month. 

“NAF last conducted a mission into Yobe State (Not Yunusari LGA) on 5 September 2021 and it was an armed recce,” he said. “No bomb or missile was even expended”.

But multiple sources have confirmed that A fighter jet bombed the village and casualties were recorded. Including BBC hausa

Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive Prompt News Update on WhatsApp

The NAF spokesperson’s comment came hours after residents of Buwari community in Yunusari Local Government Area said several persons had been killed and others injured in the reported bombardment.

BBC Hausa reports that many civilians were killed & others injured earlier today when a jet believed to be NAF’s bombed Buhari village, Yunusari LGA, Yobe State. A witness who lost 5 relatives said three jets went around, then one of them started firing the center of the village.

This area is in the northern part of Yobe, close to BH/ISWAP’s area of operation, so it is possible that the jets were on anti-BH operation. Villagers say they are unsure if the jets belong to Nigeria or Niger but it’s unlikely to be Niger’s given it’s within Nigeria’s territory.

From the Intel, Intel region gathered  around 10 people had died, while 26 remain injured.

Get in touch with us on WhatsApp – 09012328285

Receive Latest Updates on: WhatsApp: iR News Room, Facebook: Intel Region, Twitter: @intelregion, Instagram: @intelregion Telegram: iR News Room

BREAKING NEWS

- Advertisement -