25.5 C
Nigeria
Tuesday, December 1, 2020

BREAKING: Pfizer to seeks emergency use approval for COVID-19 vaccine

Pfizer and its partner BioNTech confirmed they will apply Friday for emergency use authorization for their coronavirus vaccine, becoming the first to do so in the US as the pandemic rages around the world.

The announcement had been expected for several days after the companies said that a completed study of trials of the product showed it was 95 percent effective in protecting people from infection.

The announcement also confirms what BioNTech’s CEO told AFP Thursday.

 

“Filing in the US represents a critical milestone in our journey to deliver a COVID-19 vaccine to the world and we now have a more complete picture of both the efficacy and safety profile of our vaccine, giving us confidence in its potential,” Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said.

The vaccine has been under evaluation for weeks in the European Union, Australia, Canada, Japan and the United Kingdom, the companies said.

“The companies will be ready to distribute the vaccine candidate within hours after authorization,” their statement said.

The Food and Drug Administration has not said how long it will take to study the vaccine data, but the government expects to give the green light for the vaccine in the first two weeks of December.

The European Union could also move quickly on the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, perhaps as soon as the second half of December, according to European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen.

Hot on the heels of these companies is a vaccine developed by another biotech firm, Moderna, which says its product is also about 95 percent effective.

The speed with which these vaccines have been developed as the pandemic wreaks havoc around the world has no precedent. Over the past decade, the vaccines authorized in the US have taken an average of eight years to develop.

The US government says it plans to vaccinate more than 20 million people in December, and then another 25-30 million per month.

Receive Latest Updates on: WhatsApp: iR News Room, Facebook: Intel Region, Twitter: @intelregion, Instagram: @intelregion Telegram: iR News Room

Share your story with us: Facebook Messenger: Intel Region, SMS: +2347064212243, WhatsApp: +2347064212243, Email: [email protected]

Read More

Insecurity: I’m frustrated and almost helpless -Gov. El-Rufai

Nasir el-Rufai, governor of Kaduna state, has lamented over the insecurity in the country, saying he is frustrated and almost helpless. https://twitter.com/IntelRegion/status/1313421958080536581Speaking when he featured...

BREAKING: Prof. Ekanola Appointed University of Ibadan Acting VC

The Governing Council of the University of Ibadan has approved the appointment of Professor Adebola Ekanola as the acting Vice-Chancellor of the institution.https://twitter.com/IntelRegion/status/1313421958080536581This was...

2021: Delta State Signs N383 Billion Budget Into Law

Delta State Governor, Ifeanyi Okowa, has assented to the state’s 2021 Appropriation Bill.https://twitter.com/IntelRegion/status/1313421958080536581He also assured that the state government will strive to recover from...

FG announces CBT Schedule for Nigerian Immigration and NSCDC Recruitment 2020

The Federal Government has announced the dates for the CBT examination of the Nigerian Immigration and NSCDC Recruitment 2020.https://twitter.com/iRjobalert/status/1313422540270972928In a press release signed by...

Qatar Airways Opens Abuja Operations With First Nigerian Female Boeing 787 Pilot

Qatar Airways has launched its inaugural flight to Abuja, with Adeola Sowemimo, first Nigerian female Boeing 787 Pilot and the first Nigerian female Pilot...

#ZabarmariMassacre: Senate President Leads Delegation To Borno

Senate President Ahmad Lawan on Monday led a federal government delegation on a condolence visit to Borno state over the killings in the state. https://twitter.com/IntelRegion/status/1313421958080536581Ola...

#ZabarmariMassacre: DHQ Dismisses UN Report, Insists Only 43 Slaughtered

The Defence Headquarters, on Monday, denied the report released by the United Nations that no fewer than 110 civilians were slaughtered by Boko Haram...

#ZabarmariMassacre: My Two Sons Were Slaughtered By Boko Haram In My Presence -Resident

Mallam Abubakar Yunus, one of the victims of the Zabarmari attack who lost two of his sons to the ungodly act, said he was...

Latest News

- Advertisement -

YOU MAY LIKE