24.3 C
Nigeria
Thursday, February 2, 2023

“I’m very happy” – First person to drive through Second Niger bridge shares his experience (Video)

The Second Niger Bridge was finally opened to vehicular movements, today, December 15, 2022,

Minutes after the bridge was opened for the public, the first driver to pass through it has been identified as Sunday Emem.

Emem while expressing his delight, noted that the new infrastructure will reduce hours spent on the road during trips.

IMPORTANT: You can now Click “HERE” to receive News updates directly on your WhatsApp!

“I feel so happy, at least it will reduce the hold-up. We’ve stayed over one hour at the other bridge,” he said.

Obinna Eze, the second driver to pass through the bridge, urged the present administration to complete it before May 2023.

“It is a reality, though it is not 100% complete, so far what we are seeing is impressive. We commend the present administration and we hope they complete it based on the time frame,” Eze said.

Recall that the minister of works and housing, Babatunde Fashola (SAN), had earlier disclosed that the Second Niger Bridge would be open to traffic from December 15, 2022, to January 15, 2023, to ease the experience of travellers during the Yuletide break.

Watch the first driver to cross the second niger bridge sharing his experience below:

ATTENTION: Click “HERE” to receive News updates directly on your WhatsApp!

The 1.6 kilometres long bridge links Anambra and Delta states.

The Second Niger Bridge was first proposed during the 1978/79 political campaign by then-candidate Shehu Shagari of the National Party of Nigeria (NPN).

However, in August 2012, the Federal Executive Council under then-President Goodluck Jonathan approved a contract worth N325 million for the final planning and design of the bridge.

Due to some complications, President Muhammad Buhari upon assuming office cancelled the earlier contract in August 2015. The administration, however, resumed the contract on September 1, 2018.

Meanwhile, the federal government on Wednesday, October 19, 2022, announced that the construction of the 2nd Niger bridge has been completed.

This was announced by the minister of works and housing, Babatunde Fashola, during a press conference on President Muhammadu Buhari’s achievements. Fashola also disclosed that the bridge will be opened to the public for use in no time.

Share a story with us on WhatsApp: 07041591544 intelregion.com@gmail.com

📡Our Social Media Channels:

BREAKING NEWS

- Advertisement -