24.9 C
Nigeria
Wednesday, February 8, 2023

JUST IN: Nigerians hail Buhari’s government as second Niger bridge opens to vehicular movements

The Second Niger Bridge has finaly been opened to vehicular movements.

The bridge was open at exactly 9:50 am on Thursday, December 15, 2022, despite assurances by the Federal Government that the bridge will be opened at 12 am.

According to a government official who spoke to Channels Television, the delay was as a result of some little adjustments on the roads the roads linking the bridge.

IMPORTANT: You can now Click “HERE” to receive News updates directly on your WhatsApp!

The first driver to pass through the bridge, Sunday Emem, expressed his delight to Channels Television. “I feel so happy, at least it will reduce the hold-up. We’ve stayed over one hour at the other bridge,” he said.

Obinna Eze, the second driver to pass through the bridge, urged the present administration to complete it before May 2023.

“It is a reality, though it is not 100% complete, so far what we are seeing is impressive. We commend the present administration and we hope they complete it based on the time frame,” Eze said.

Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola (SAN), last Thursday disclosed that the Second Niger Bridge would be open to traffic from December 15, 2022, to January 15, 2023 to ease the experience of travellers during Yuletide break.

The 1.6 kilometers long bridge links Anambra and Delta states.

ATTENTION: Click “HERE” to receive News updates directly on your WhatsApp!

The Second Niger Bridge was first proposed during the 1978/79 political campaign by then-candidate Shehu Shagari of the National Party of Nigeria (NPN).

However, in August 2012, the Federal Executive Council under then-President  Goodluck Jonathan’s approved a contract worth N325 million for the final planning and design of the bridge.

A somewhat complicated procedure continued under President Muhammad Buhari, who first cancelled the earlier contract in August 2015. The administration, however, resumed the contract on September 1, 2018.

Meanwhile, Nigerians reacting to the development hailed President Muhammadu Buhari’s led administration for the completion of the project.

Sammie Soporu said; “God bless President Buhari for making this a reality.”

Emeka Fidelis wrote; “It is a thing of joy and a big credit to PMB.”

Olamide said; “Though I am not a fan of baba Buhari but on this, kudos 👍 to him for the initiative and not the APC government! God bless the federal republic of Nigeria.”

Share a story with us on WhatsApp: 07041591544 intelregion.com@gmail.com

📡Our Social Media Channels:

BREAKING NEWS

- Advertisement -