36.3 C
Nigeria
Saturday, February 4, 2023

JUST IN: TikTok bans influencer for spreading fake news against Osinbajo’s daughter

A Liberian TikTok content creator identified as @Realcharley22, has been banned by the social media platform for spreading fake news about the daughter of the vice president of Nigeria, Kiki Osinbajo.

The TikTok influencer had posted earlier in the week that Kiki was arrested in the United Kingdom because she was in possession of large amount of money in dollars.

Although the user, who posted photos and videos to support the claim, had since come out to refute the news after Nigerian blogger, Tunde Ednut, posted that it was untrue.

IMPORTANT: You can now Click “HERE” to receive News updates directly on your WhatsApp!

Consequently Nigerians in their numbers rushed to report the page for deceiving the public and checks on the page on Saturday revealed that the account was no longer on TikTok.

@Realcharley22 barely 24 hours after sharing the false video, shared another video apologising to Kiki and Nigerians for the post saying his source confused the lady in the video for Kiki.

He said, “I want to apologise to Kiki Osinbajo because she never got arrested. The story is not true and my source deceived me and took someone else as Kiki.

“I want to make a disclaimer on the video I posted earlier, I am so sorry, my followers and Kiki Osinbajo, she never got arrested.

“Popular Nigerian blogger, Tunde Ednut just confirmed on Instagram that it is false, Kiki never got arrested. He asked me to take down the story and it is confirmed that the story is false.”

ATTENTION: Click “HERE” to receive News updates directly on your WhatsApp!

This comes days after the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) sanctioned Arise TV News for broadcasting a fake press release on an alleged drug trafficking case in the United States against the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

According to a statement released by the commission’s Director-General, Balarabe Shehu Ilelah, on Monday, November 14, 2022, the station’s report breached the broadcast code. 

The TV station was also slammed with N2 million for the infraction and ordered the fine to be paid within two weeks.

ccording to NBC, “The said Press Release alleged that INEC is investigating the use of forfeiture by a US Court against the Presidential Candidate of the APC, with a view to prosecution. The press Release in reference has been tagged FAKE by INEC and the organisation has issued a counter Press Release to refute the story.

“This is a most unfortunate breach of the Nigeria Broadcasting Code and gross display of unprofessionalism and insensitivity by your organisation at this time of electioneering.”

The regulator noted that the TV station had tendered apology to Tinubu, NBC however stated that it expected utmost professionalism from a broadcast station on issues that have grave consequences.

The Presidential Campaign Council of the APC had petitioned the NBC, asking for sanctions against Arise News and Channels TV over their reports Tinubu.

The campaign council, in a petition signed by the Special Adviser, Media, Communications and Public Affairs of the PCC, Dele Alake, which was addressed to the Director-General, Balarabe Shehu Ilelah, said both television stations were accused of breaching broadcast codes with their actions.

Share a story with us on WhatsApp: 07041591544 intelregion.com@gmail.com

📡Our Social Media Channels:

BREAKING NEWS

- Advertisement -