Kano state governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has kicked against President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s N500 billion palliative sharing formula.
Tinubu’s government on July 13, rolled out a plan to pay N8,000 over a period of six months to 12 million families to ameliorate the hardships faced by Nigerians as a result of subsidy removal.
The president said it was support to enable poor and vulnerable Nigerians to cope with the cost of meeting basic needs.
Commenting on the sharing formula, Governor Yusuf who spoke through his deputy, Comrade Aminu Abdussalam, said the distribution was heavily skewed in favour of Lagos state and the South-South zone to the disadvantage of other states and zones.
He noted that Lagos is positioned be receiving 47% of the allocation, followed by the South-South Zone with 17%, with other regions receiving significantly lower percentages.
He said: “This is unfair, unconstitutional, and illegal,” Yusuf made this known during a meeting with representatives from the Kano Cooperative Society at the state government house. He called on relevant authorities, including members of the National Assembly to rectify the situation and take appropriate action against those responsible.”
Meanwhile, former Anambra Governor and presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi, has denied reports that he is aspiring for the 2027 presidential election from 2023.
Obi in a statement issued via its Twitter handle on Saturday said the reports are “bogus” and that he has never granted any interview or press remarks to that effect.
He also denied reports that he had kicked against an alleged offer by President Bola Tinubu to state governors, including those elected on the platform of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and LP, to serve in the boards and parastatals of Federal Government agencies which were dissolved by the president last month.
Obi said he is focused on creating a new Nigeria and that his emphasis has never been on political positions or personal aggrandizement.
“Our messages during the electioneering campaigns were all issue-driven,” he said.
The full statement reads:
“I have noticed with dismay, an emerging pattern where fake media reports and news items are predicated on interviews and press remarks I never granted. Two recent instances relate to my saying that I am looking forward to running for office in 2027 on a supposed Arise TV interview that never took place. The other is about my reaction to prospective appointees into the Federal Government. Both reports are bogus. Regrettably, our politics have sunken to this abysmal level where manipulation of the media space is now a trade.
“For me, I shall continue to speak on topical national issues via recognized news and media outfits. But I certainly will not concern myself with cheap distractive trolls. My focus and that of the Obidient Movement will not derail from the original mission of creating a new Nigeria which we believe is POssible. Our emphasis has never been on political positions or personal aggrandizement, but on putting the nation on the right footing and deepening our democracy by helping to elevate and empower the downtrodden in our society.
“That was why our messages during the electioneering campaigns were all issue-driven.”