BREAKING: Nigerian army admits bombing over 120 villagers mistakenly in Kaduna

The Nigerian Army has claimed responsibility for the bombing of villagers during a Maulud Nabiy celebration at Tudun Biriin in Igabi Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

It was earlier reported that over 30 villagers were feared dead in the bomb attack on Sunday.

But in a fresh development from The Leadership, dozens of villagers were killed and no fewer than 50 were injured in the incident.

  • ATTENTION: Intel Region is ₦10,000 to our top readers, CLICK HERE to become a winner

A visit to the Emergency Department of Barau Dikko Teaching Hospital in Kaduna on Monday revealed that over 50 injured patients were being attended to while those with severe cases had been taken to the theatre for corrective surgeries. The majority of those injured were children and women.

A credible source who spoke to The Leadership from the local government area, who pleaded anonymity, confirmed that no fewer than 83 persons were killed when the bomb was dropped and exploded and gave the figure of those injured as 53.


As it stands now considering the condition of those injured as seen by our correspondent, there was apprehension that the death toll, which exact figure cannot be immediately authenticated, may increase with time.

The incident, which occurred around 9:00pm on Sunday night, was initially suspected to had been mistakenly carried out by the Nigeria Air Force (NAF) until a statement from the NAF headquarters stated that there was no operations carried out by its men in the past 24 hours in Kaduna State and environs emanated.

Meanwhile, the Kaduna State government, has reacted to the incident, affirming that the Nigeria Army has admitted to mistakenly carrying out the operation, which led to the death of the villagers.

A statement issued in Kaduna on Monday afternoon following a special security meeting, signed by the Overseeing Commissioner, Ministry of Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, noted that the State Government received briefings on the Sunday night’s attack, which left several citizens dead and others injured.

He said at the meeting presided over by the Deputy Governor, Dr Hadiza Sabuwa Balarabe, which had in attendance heads of security agencies, religious and traditional leaders, the Nigerian Army explained the circumstances which led to the unfortunate and unintended attack.

WHATSAPP: Click HERE to join the iR News Room WhatsApp group to receive latest updates on your phone!

“The General Officer Commanding One Division Nigerian Army, Major VU Okoro explained that the Nigerian Army was on a routine mission against terrorists but inadvertently affected members of the community.

“The Deputy Governor at the end of the closed door meeting, conveyed the condolences of the Government and People of Kaduna State to the families that lost their loved ones, and prayed for the repose of the victims’ souls,” he stated.

Aruwan was, however, silent on the number both the dead and injured victims of the unintended attack.

He added that as of the time of the update, search-and-rescue efforts were still ongoing, as dozens of injured victims have been evacuated to Barau Dikko Teaching Hospital by the State Government.

Heads of security agencies, who attended the meeting included the Commissioner of Police, MY Garba, and Director of the Department of State Services (DSS) Abdul Eneche. The Chairman of the Kaduna State Chapter of Jam’atu Nasril Islam (JNI), Professor Shafi’u Abdullahi, led other religious leaders. Also present at meeting was the District of Rigasa, Alhaji Aminu Idris, whose domain the incident occurred.


Share News with us via Email:

📡Join Our Social Media Channels:


- Advertisement -