19.5 C
Nigeria
Sunday, August 9, 2020

Organisers scrap 2020 Ballon d’Or

The Ballon d’Or will not be awarded this year due to the extraordinary conditions created by the coronavirus pandemic, organisers France Football announced yesterday.

It will be the first time the trophy given for the world’s best men’s footballer has not been awarded since Englishman Stanley Matthews won the inaugural edition in 1956.

“There will be no edition in 2020, because it turns out, after thoughtful consideration, that all the conditions are not met,” said Pascal Ferre, the editor of the magazine.

The COVID-19 outbreak saw all major football leagues shut down in March, with the German Bundesliga the first to resume behind closed doors in May.

France Football said it would be unfair to vote on the world’s best player when some leagues, including the French Ligue 1, cancelled their seasons early.

Ferre also suggested that it would not be right to judge players based on games played without spectators present.

“We believe that such a singular year cannot… be treated as an ordinary year,” he added. “Two months (January and February), out of the eleven generally required to form an opinion and decide who should lift the trophies, represent far too little to gauge and judge, without forgetting that the other games were played –- or will be played –- in unusual conditions (behind closed doors, with five replacements, Champions League’s Final 8 played in a single game).”

Lionel Messi won a record-breaking sixth Ballon d’Or last year.

The women’s Ballon d’Or, which was first awarded in 2018, has also been cancelled, as have the Kepa Trophy, given to the best young player, and the Yashin award for best goalkeeper.

Receive Latest Updates on: WhatsApp: +2349014058640, Facebook: Intel Region, Twitter: @intelregion, Instagram: @intelregion Telegram: Intel Region

Share your story with us: Facebook Messenger: Intel Region, SMS: +2347064212243, WhatsApp: +2347064212243, Email: [email protected]

Read More

Buruji Kashamu dies of COVID-19

ormer lawmaker representing Ogun-East Senatorial District and businessman, Buruji Kashamu, is dead.FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK TO RECEIVE MORE UPDATES LIKE THISIt was gathered that...

Four dead after consuming hand sanitizers in US

The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says it received notification of 15 cases of methanol poisoning associated with ingesting alcohol-based hand...

325 Nigerians return from US

The sixth evacuation flight from the US has departed for Abuja and Lagos with 325 passengers on board.In the manifest are 128 males, 174...

We’re disappointed by role of political actors in Edo assembly crisis – US

The United States Mission to Nigeria has expressed worry over reports of deteriorating political climate in Edo state and interference by security forces in...

Extortion of businesses by government agencies needs to stop – Osinbajo

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo says it is important for government agencies to reduce the harassment and extortion of businesses in order for the country...

‘You’re a coward’, Tinubu blasts Obaseki over political crisis in Edo

The National Leader of the ruling All Progressives Congress, Bola Ahmed Tinubu has labelled Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State a coward following his...

NRC generated N3bn from train services in 2019

Mr Fidet Okhiria, NRC’s Managing Director in a statement signed by Mrs Taiye Elebiyo-Edeni, Media Assistant to the Minister of Transportation, said N1.5 billion...

2020 Oyo State TESCOM Examination starts Aug 11 – See Full Schedule

The Oyo State TESCOM Examination has been announced to commence starting from Tuesday, August 11, 2020. FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK TO RECEIVE MORE UPDATES LIKE...

Latest News

- Advertisement -

Leave a Reply

YOU MAY LIKE