27.8 C
Nigeria
Friday, September 18, 2020

Zuckerberg gives reason for allowing Trump’s threats on facebook

Facebook Chief Executive Officer, Mark Zuckerberg has defended himself for not condemning remarks by U.S. President Donald Trump appearing to threaten violent retribution against demonstrators protesting the death of a black man at the hands of police, according to media reported on Tuesday.

In a companywide meeting with staff, he explained that he won’t change his mind about a decision to leave up posts shared by U.S. President Donald Trump last week that many workers felt violated the company’s policies against violent rhetoric.

In a post by the United States President, which was visible on his Facebook page, Trump slammed demonstrators protesting the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis as “THUGS” and appeared to promote a violent response by saying, “when the looting starts, the shooting starts.”

That phrase was first used by a Miami police chief in 1967 to justify a violent crackdown on black neighborhoods.

Zuckerberg took questions from employees in the companywide meeting, many of whom have publicly voiced dismay that the Trump post, which seemed to threaten that looters would be shot, was still visible on Facebook’s service.

Zuckerberg told workers that he and other members of the company’s policy team couldn’t justify saying that the message clearly incited violence, which means it didn’t break Facebook’s rules, according to two people who attended the meeting.

Zuckerberg added that Facebook is exploring whether the company should change the policy or come up with other ways to flag violating posts besides taking them down entirely, one person said. The meeting lasted 90 minutes, and employees asked Zuckerberg questions via a video split screen. Many of those who spoke were upset and frustrated with the company’s position.

Join our WhatsApp Group to submit your opinion and contribute to important discussions – iR NEWS ROOM

Don’t miss out, if the Group is full, CLICK HERE. We will find as space for you.

Facebook is responding to the most intense internal protest in its history, involving public resignations and increasing outrage over Zuckerberg’s decisions. While the CEO stood his ground on the posts from last week, the company tried to assuage concerns by announcing two initiatives. Facebook will create a hub for election resources — similar to its offering for Covid-19 — where users can seek out vetted information, the meeting attendees said. And Fidji Simo, the head of Facebook’s flagship app, was tasked with sponsoring more proactive initiatives to advance racial justice, according to the employees, who asked not to be identified discussing an internal meeting.

Unlike Twitter, a “public interest notice” has been placed on the post for violating the platform’s rules “about glorifying violence,” a move not mirrored by Facebook.

A number of Facebook employees, including some senior figures, have criticized the company’s approach, challenging Zuckerberg’s decision to leave the post up, and on Monday some workers participated in a virtual walkout in protest.

“Mark had an open discussion with employees today, as he has regularly over the years,” a Facebook spokesperson said. “He’s grateful for their feedback.”

 

One employee, software engineer Timothy Aveni, announced his resignation on Monday, citing Facebook’s failure to step in on content such as Trump’s.

Join our WhatsApp Group to submit your opinion and contribute to important discussions – iR NEWS ROOM

Don’t miss out, if the Group is full, CLICK HERE. We will find as space for you.

“Mark always told us that he would draw the line at speech that calls for violence. He showed us on Friday that this was a lie,” Aveni posted on Facebook. “Facebook, complicit in the propagation of weaponized hatred, is on the wrong side of history.”

As criticism mounted on Monday, Zuckerberg and Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg held a videoconference with U.S. civil rights leaders to discuss issues around Facebook’s policies related to race, elections and other topics. Color of Change President Rashad Robinson said participants were left disappointed with Zuckerberg’s understanding of the issues.

Last week, Twitter also angered Trump when the company added a fact-checking label to a post about mail-in ballots. Trump responded by unveiling an executive order targeting the law that protects social-media companies from liability for the content posted by its users.

(NDTV/PREMIUM TIMES)

Receive Latest Updates on: WhatsApp: +2349014058640, Facebook: Intel Region, Twitter: @intelregion, Instagram: @intelregion

Share your story with us: Facebook Messenger: Intel Region, SMS: +2347064212243, WhatsApp: +2347064212243, Email: [email protected]

Read More

Akeredolu aide resigns ahead of election, declares support for Agboola Ajayi

An aide of the Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, has resigned his appointment from the government and thrown his weight behind the deputy governor,...

Hushpuppi laundered U.S. unemployment benefits – FBI

Fresh evidence from the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) has revealed how Ramon Abbas, popularly called Hushpuppi, a Nigerian Instagram sensation, was involved in...

Kogi government reject US visa ban on prominent politicians

The Kogi government has protested against the visa ban imposed on some politicians who allegedly rigged the last governorship election in the state by...

FG apologizes about self-certification, calls information misleading

The Federal Government has apologised for asking all account holders in the country’s financial institutions to register their details again.FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK TO...

Transcorp Hilton to reduce workers by 40% due to the effect of the pandemic

The First Paragraph of the contentFOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK TO RECEIVE MORE UPDATES LIKE THISThe next three or four paragraphs of contents The space contains...

FG orders Nigerians to register for self-certification to avoid risk of account loss

The Federal Government has ordered all account holders in the country’s financial institutions to register their details again.FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK TO RECEIVE MORE...

N20.36bn trading surplus recorded by NNPC in July – Report

The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has recorded increased trading surplus of ₦20.36billion in July, compared to the ₦2.12billion surplus in June 2020 in...

Latest News

- Advertisement -

YOU MAY LIKE