World War III (WW3)
Iran has launched as series of attacks on US facilities in Iraq in a fulfillment of the promised retalaition to the United States of America (USA) for the killing of Qossem Soleimani.
According to the Iranian Sate Television in the early hours of Wednesday, Iran’s Revolutionary Guards Corps had attacked Ain al-Asad military base, where US troops are stationed.
In a press staement by the Iraqi military, 22 missiles were launched on the two sites between 1:45am and 2:15am. Two of the 17 missiles targeting Ain al-Asad base did not go off, the military said, while the five missiles on Erbil all targeted coalition headquarters.
The Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif stated through his twitter handle that Iran had taken and concluded “proportionate measures in self-defence” under Article 51 of the UN Charter.
“We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression,” he said.
Iran took & concluded proportionate measures in self-defense under Article 51 of UN Charter targeting base from which cowardly armed attack against our citizens & senior officials were launched.— Javad Zarif (@JZarif) January 8, 2020
We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression.
There was no immediate comment by US officials. Earlier, a US official speaking on condition of anonymity told The Associated Press news agency there were “few, if any” casualties.
However, in a reaction by Washington DC, President Donald Trump tweeted that an assessment of casualties and damage from the strikes was under way.
“All is well!” Trump said in the Twitter post, adding that he would make a statement on Wednesday morning.
All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 8, 2020