The UNESCO King Hamad Bin Isa Al-Khalifa Prize for the use of ICT in education is now accepting candidatures. The theme of the 2020 edition is the use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) to enhance the continuity and quality of learning.
In the context of the education crisis due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this focus is all the more important. Indeed, the way we use new technologies to respond to the crisis reveals both their potential and the need to support their development – so that they can help to improve learning and inclusivity rather than exacerbate existing inequalities.
Technology innovations fueled by AI have the potential to locate and reach excluded and marginalized groups and provide quality learning programmes for learners in emergency contexts or learners with physical and cognitive disabilities.
AI technologies can also help accurately analyze difficulties faced by students studying in a language other than their mother tongue. At the same time, they can support teachers with a better diagnosis of learning problems and personally adaptive feedback to improve pedagogical responses.
- Theme: Use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) to enhance the continuity and quality of learning
- Eligible Countries: UNESCO Member State
- Reward: USD 25,000
- Deadline: December 18, 2020
- Scholarship Alerts: To receive Scholarship Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
Two winners will be selected by the Director-General of UNESCO based on the recommendations of an international Jury, and each winner will receive a reward of USD 25,000 and a diploma.
Individuals, institutions, non-governmental organizations or other entities are eligible to apply
- The project should be ongoing for at least for 1 year
- The project and its organization should not be affiliated to UNESCO or receive any funding from UNESCO
- The technology solutions used by the project should be designed completely for public good or for charitable purposes, meaning that they should not be the free parts of commercial applications or application packages that only offer limited functions free of charge while requesting users to pay for advanced functions
- Relevance to the Thematic Focus: The project is in line with the objectives of the Prize and is relevant to the specific theme of the year
- Innovation: The project applies innovative technologies and Artificial Intelligence (AI)-enhanced solutions or blends AI and conventional technologies in a new innovative way
- Evidence of Impact: The project should provide evidence of improved learning outcomes of the targeted beneficiaries.
- Potential for Replicability and Scalability: The project should show evidence that it can be replicated in other contexts or have the potential to further optimize and scale its impact
- Inclusion and Equity: The project should use AI or innovative technologies to advance inclusion and equity in education, while taking into account marginalized groups, leaners in crises and emergencies contexts and learners with physical or cognitive disabilities
- The Prize is not a grant scheme aimed at supporting new projects or organization. The Prize is aimed at recognizing already implemented projects and activities.
- All projects should be nominated by a National Commission for UNESCO or a NGO in official partnership with UNESCO. Self-nominations will not be accepted.
Method of Application
The applicants should fist request access to the online platform and then fill in an online form.
For the application to be considered, it should be nominated by either the National Commission of the UNESCO Member State or an NGO in official partnership with UNESCO.
All applicants are encouraged to get in touch with the NGO or National Commission ahead of the application process. Self-nominations will not be accepted.
Governments of UNESCO Member States as well as NGOs in official partnership with UNESCO are invited to elicit and nominate up to three projects, which are in line with the 2020 theme and meet the selection criteria.
The deadline for nominations is 18 December 2020 (midnight, Paris time).
For more information contact: ict[email protected]