The Embassy of Japan is pleased to inform all Nigerians that the Government of Japan will provide scholarship for interested Nigerian Primary/Secondary school teachers who desire to take teacher training course and Japanese language training in Japan.
The scholarship is open to graduates of universities and teachers training colleges not more than thirty-four (34) years of age (must be born on or after April 2, 1986), who has taught as teachers at primary/secondary schools or teacher training colleges for at least five years in their home countries at the time of application.
The Embassy will like to use this opportunity to attract Nigerian Schools that wish to start a Japanese Language class or course at their school. Beneficiaries shall on their return, help to promote Japanese language education in Nigeria
Table of Contents
MEXT accepts applications from international students for study in Japan who satisfy the following qualifications and conditions. Its aim is to foster human resources who will become bridges of friendship between the grantee’s country and Japan through study in Japan and who will contribute to the development of both countries and the wider world.
Nationality: Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan.
Age: In principle, applicants must be born on or after April 2, 1986.
Academic and Career Background: Applicants must be graduates of universities or teacher training schools and have worked as teachers at primary/secondary educational institutions or teacher training schools (excluding universities) in their home countries for a total period of five years or more as of October 1, 2021.
Japanese Language Ability: Applicants must be willing to learn Japanese.
Health: Applicants must submit a health certificate in the prescribed format signed by a physician attesting that the applicant has no physical or mental conditions hindering the applicant’s study in Japan.
Arrival in Japan: In principle, applicants must be able to arrive in Japan by the designated period (usually September or October) between the day two weeks before the course starts and the starting date of the course.
Visa Requirement: An applicant shall, in principle, newly obtain a “Student” visa at the Japanese diplomatic mission located in the applicant’s country of nationality, and enter Japan with the newly obtained residence status of “Student”.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- The scholarship period is the necessary period for the completion of the accepting university’s training course, which should be between October 2021 (or the starting month of the course) and March 2023. Extension of the scholarship period is not permitted.
- Fully Sponsored + Monthly Stipends – 143,000 yen per month (N549,237.15/mnt).
- Paid Travel Expenses
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Application Form (Use the FY2020 Application Form);
- Placement Preference Application Form (Use the FY2020 Preference Form);
- Certified grade transcript for each academic year from the last university/teacher training school attended;
- The diploma from the last university/teacher training school attended;
- Certificate of employment;
- Recommendation letter from the immediate supervisor at work;
- Medical certificate
- (Use the FY2020 certificate form);
- Certificate of Japanese language ability (if available).
Method of Application
The deadline for submitting application for the Japanese Government MEXT programme varies for each Japanese diplomatic mission. Make sure to confirm the deadline by contacting the nearest Japanese diplomatic mission or through their website.
Submit the application form with the required documents to the Japanese diplomatic mission in your country by the designated deadline. The submitted documents will not be returned.