The Funmi Omo Initiative Scholarship for Young Women aims to support underserved female university students who excel in both academics and extracurriculars.
Scholars get an annual scholarship (up to N1,500,000 per academic year), 1-on-1 mentoring with Mrs. Funmi Omo, and access to a high-level network of intellectual peers.
Our mission is to provide promising, young Nigerian women with quality education so that, in turn, they will have an opportunity to positively impact our society.
The maiden edition of the Funmi Omo Initiative Scholarship for Young Women was quite unique. The Initiative got over 3000 entries from bright young women from all over Nigeria. We narrowed these candidates down to a shortlist of 19, from which we chose the final 7 scholars who were the beneficiaries.
At first, we set out to benefit 5 young women, but from a crop of extraordinary students, we were hard-pressed to pick 7. The promise of these young women and their potential was not to be ignored.
We are looking for the brightest minds for this second edition. Make sure you put your best foot forward and complete all of the application steps with the utmost detail. The most important thing is, to be honest with your accomplishments and communicate your value clearly.
We look forward to meeting our applicants.
In order to be eligible to apply for the scholarship, applicants must:
- You have gained admission to the university and can show proof of admission.
- You are between 17 – 28 years.
- You are resident in Nigeria.
- You are willing to commit to one hour of coaching, delivered online, every quarter.
- You show evidence of an excellent result (a minimum of 4.0 GPA) in the previous academic year OR you have recently gained admission and have an admission letter into the university.
- You are an active member of school-sanctioned extracurricular organizations.
- You have a functioning bank account.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
1. The sum of N300,000 per student covers school fees and a discretionary allowance for upkeep.
2. Personal academic and career coaching to give you an edge in your future professional pursuits.
3. Networking with like-minded colleagues and mentors, creating a lifelong network.
About Funmi Omo
Funmilayo Omo or “FO” as she is popularly called, is an experienced insurance professional with over 25 years of experience, and an advocate for youth leadership.
Funmi is credited as the first Managing Director in African Alliance Insurance Plc to champion and successfully execute the rebranding and digital transformation of the company since its inception in 1960, a process she kickstarted less than two years of her tenure as the CEO.
Funmi’s mantra: “I live to impact lives” is personified through her private philanthropic activities. She is passionate about helping young people, especially women, achieve their life goals and she privately funds scholarships for youths from disadvantaged homes.
She spends her time informally coaching young career professionals, and she is committed to helping young professionals attain leadership through coaching and mentoring.
Funmi has been recognised as one of the top 100 women CEOs in Africa by Reset Global People, a UN and Ghanaian Presidency initiative.
Method of Application
1. Fill the online form using the Click Here To Apply Button Below
2. Write a cover letter stating your personal career goals and ideas for making Nigeria a better place for young women. This is your chance to present your ideas – dream big!
3. Attach your results from the previous academic year(s) and your referee information (one academic referee and one parent/guardian).