The Mandela Washington Fellowship Alumni Association has announced the call for applications for the 2021 Beyond School Community Challenge for Secondary School Students in Nigeria.
Sponsored by the US Mission in Nigeria, the 5th edition of the BSCC provides a platform for outstanding secondary school students aged 13-18 to provide solutions to problems around them by creating community development projects.
Guided by mentors and their schools, the students identify the challenge, proffer a viable entrepreneurial concept to address the challenge.
The Challenge identifies top finalists annually from the pool of applications received across Nigeria, where finalists consisting of 3 students and a teacher/mentor per team, are invited to pitch and exhibit their entrepreneurial ideas. The #BSCChallenge2021 will be virtual for participating schools
For the 5th edition of the BSCChallenge, applications shall revolve around novel ideas that have not been tested anywhere to provide solutions that have not been implemented in any of the under-listed areas.
Each team of students will be required to think innovatively and submit realistic idea(s) that can solve some of Nigeria’s current challenges within the threshold of the grant funding
Duration and Reward
Cash grant prize of N1.5M will be shared amongst the winners as follows:
- Top 3 Winning Project Grant (N400k, N350k & N250k) ·
- All 30 Students (N300k @ N10k each) ·
- Best Teacher Award- N100k ·
- Other 2 teachers – N50k each amongst other benefits.
Focus Areas As Follows:
- Social Insecurity (Kidnappings, Banditry, Terrorism) ·
- Food Insecurity (Occasioned by incessant farmers and herders clashes and climate change) ·
- Youth & Skills Development (Skill gap and unemployment in a youth dominated nation) · Access to Quality Education (Occasioned by social insecurity and Covid-19 pandemic)
Method of Application
Teams should fill the e-forms on the MWFAAN website. See link below.
There shall be coordinated live interview sessions for every team shortlisted for the challenge to ascertain the authenticity of every application.
Application closes at 11:59 p.m on September 20th, 2021.