The Government of the Republic of Mauritius is offering scholarships to deserving students who are resident citizens of member states of the African Union or of African Commonwealth countries for full-time, on-campus Undergraduate and postgraduate programmes tenable in public Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in Mauritius.
The duly completed application form should be submitted through the Nominating Agency of the respective countries.
A list of Nominating Agencies can be found on the website of this Ministry at http://ministry-education.govmu.org/English/educationsector/Pages/TertiaryEducation.aspx
- Host Country: Republic of Mauritius
- Study Abroad: Study in Africa
- Category: Undergraduate Scholarships | Postgraduate Scholarships | Masters Scholarships | PhD Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: All African Countries
- Reward: Full Scholarship
- Deadline: April 30, 2021 / May 14, 2021
- Scholarship Alerts: To receive Scholarship Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
Applications for the Scholarships are to be made to the Nominating Agency in the applicant’s country of origin and are NOT to be sent directly to Mauritius by the applicant. The Nominating Agency, which is typically part of Ministry of Education, will select and nominate up to five (5) candidates for undergraduate programmes (indicating clearly the level of studies for each nominated candidate).
The Nominating Agency of the country of citizenship of the candidates, or the Ministry of Education, will subsequently transmit the application forms to Mauritius.
For Masters Scholarship
Applicants should have successfully completed an undergraduate degree with: (i) at least an upper second class from a recognized higher education institution; OR (ii) a GPA / CPA greater than 60% from a recognized higher education institution; OR (iii) alternative qualifications acceptable to the Ministry.
- Note: a. Candidates should submit their detailed study plan of about 750 words along with their application
- Candidates already holding a Masters’ degree or its equivalent will not be considered.
- Course requirements and information on the specific Masters’ Programmes are available on the website of the Higher Education Institutions as follows: i. University of Mauritius – M.Sc Finance https://www.uom.ac.mu/images/FILES/Programmes/FLM/YR2020/Postgraduate/LM 550A.pdf ii. University of Technology, Mauritius – M.Sc Climate Change, Health & Disaster Management http://www.utm.ac.mu/files/sthug/programmes/ssdt/PG2018/MSc_Climate_Change_ Health_and_Disaster_Management_UTM_Programme_-_AC_MAY_2018.pdf iii. Mahatma Gandhi Institute – M.A Media Arts http://www.uom.ac.mu/index.php/study-at-uom/programme-details/postgraduate/90- study-at uom/438-mgi-postgraduate-programmes-details-2
- The onus for the provision of equivalence of qualifications rests upon the applicants.
For Undergraduate Scholarship
Candidates must have: Either (i). A minimum of five (5) credits at School Certificate (S.C), or General Certificate of Education (G.C.E) ‘O’ Level or International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE), inclusive of a credit in English Language or acceptable evidence of proficiency in English Language ( as per para 1.3.3 below).
- Or (ii). Five (5) ‘O’ Level passes awarded by any other approved examining body deemed to be equivalent to (i) above, inclusive of a pass in English Language or acceptable evidence of proficiency in English Language (as per para 1.3.3 below).
- Or (iii) Qualification equivalent to (i) above. Note: (a) A pass in English at A-level will be acceptable in lieu of English Language at ‘O’ Level. (b) A pass at subsidiary level and/or ‘A’ Level or equivalent will be acceptable in lieu of a pass at ‘O’ Level as per (i) and (ii) above.
- Some diploma programmes may have higher qualification requirements than (i) and (ii) and applications will be considered only for candidates meeting the minimum requirements of these programmes.
- Candidates already holding a diploma will not be considered
- Candidates should have successfully completed end-of-secondary schooling and should satisfy the minimum grade requirements as indicated below: (i) at least 21 points at GCE or HSC A-Level which will be computed on the basis of the following grades obtained in three Principal subjects: A+=10, A=9, B=8, C=7 & D=6; OR (ii) at least an overall average of 60% or an overall average of 12/20; OR (iii) qualification equivalent to (i) or (ii) above.
- Note: Candidates already holding an undergraduate degree will not be considered
Scholarship Duration and Reward
This scholarship provides for annual payment of tuition fees and other studies-related costs (e.g. general/annual fees and miscellaneous fees, etc) as per grid below: SN Beneficiaries from Applicable Rate Tuition Fee paid up to SADC Countries Local Fees MUR100,000 2 Non-SADC Countries International Fees MUR160,000 (as at 18 January 2021, 1 USD = MUR 39.55)
- Awardees will NOT be allowed to transfer to another HEI or shift course of study once they have been granted a Scholarship.
- Awardees shall have to bear the cost of tuition fees and other studies-related costs exceeding the amounts mentioned above.
- The awardee will have to bear all costs associated with any examination re-sit or repeat of any academic year
- The scholarship will be for a maximum duration of two years or the minimum course duration whichever is lesser
- Living Allowance
- Travel Allowance
- Health Insurance
- Undergraduate Diploma – Three (3) years 2
- Undergraduate Degree – Four (4) years
- Master – Two (2) years
- MPhil / PhD – Four (4) years + 6 months for the transfer from MPhil to PhD 5 PhD Three (3) years
Necessary Application Guide/Form
Method of Application
An application under this Scheme is to be made solely through the Nominating Agency responsible for the processing of scholarships in the country of citizenship of the applicant.
Such Nominating Agency, which may typically be part of the Ministry of Education in the country of the applicant, will then shortlist and endorse the applications of a maximum of FIFTEEN (15) eligible candidates (five in each category of Undergraduate, Masters and MPhil/PhD) and submit the duly completed application forms as per the table below:
- Deadline for electronic submission – 30 April 2021
- Deadline for submission of hard copy – 14 May 2021
- Applications, together with supporting documents as required should be forwarded to the Ministry of Education, Tertiary Education, Science and Technology of the Republic of Mauritius at the address mentioned below, for a final selection.