UNESCO International Centre for Biotechnology (UNECO ICB) Scholarship 2020/2021 is calling for applications from students currently registered in a tertiary academic institution in Nigeria.
The UNESCO International Centre for Biotechnology (UNECO ICB) was established through agreement between the Federal Government of Nigeria and the United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), to carry out biotechnology related research and training in three thematic areas – food security, tropical diseases and bioresources conservation.
As part of the Centre’s human capital development programme, applications are invited from qualified Nigerian students in tertiary academic institutions under the annual Scholarship programmes. Each successful applicant will receive an award for one academic year towards tuition fee, accommodation, books and living expenses.
- Host: UNESCO International Centre for Biotechnology
- Category: Undergraduate Scholarships | Postgraduate Scholarships | Masters Scholarships | PhD Scholarships
- Eligible Country: Nigeria
- Reward: Full Scholarship
- Deadline: October 15, 2021
- Scholarship Alerts: To receive Scholarship Alerts on WhatsApp, Click HERE
UNESCO is the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. It seeks to build peace through international cooperation in Education, the Sciences and Culture. UNESCO’s programmes contribute to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals defined in Agenda 2030, adopted by the UN General Assembly in 2015.
Political and economic arrangements of governments are not enough to secure the lasting and sincere support of the peoples. Peace must be founded upon dialogue and mutual understanding.
In order to be eligible to apply for the scholarship, applicants must:
- Evidence that the students currently registered in a tertiary academic institution in Nigeria for the category of award applied.
- Course of study is biotechnology or biotechnology related disciplines including agriculture, biosciences bioengineering, etc. relevant to the Centre’s thematic areas – food security, tropical diseases, and bioresources conservation.
- Current cumulative grade point average (CGPA) is at least 2nd Class Upper (2:1) at the time of application or the most recently completed degree for MSc and PhD students.
- Preference will be given to First Class students and/or those at the top of their class.
- Not more than one (1) award per scholarship category per thematic area from any academic institution. For instance, more than one (1) award may not be made for MSc Scholarship in Tropical Diseases from one institution.
Other Requirements for the Awards:
- Final awards will maintain both national spread and gender balance.
- Successful candidates will attend the Award Ceremony in person at designated venue and make an oral presentation of the final year project or thesis research findings.
- The awardee will acknowledge the Centre in all publications (eg. thesis, scientific paper, conference paper) arising from the research project / thesis.
- The awarded shall deposit a copy of all publications arising from the project / thesis at the Centre in both digital and hard copies.
- All applications received will be acknowledged; however, only successful applicants will be contacted further. The decision of the Scholarships Awards Committee is final.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
Per annum, there are 3 categories of award, and for each category there are 15 scholarships which includes 5 awards for each of the Centre’s thematic areas – food security, tropical diseases, and bioresources conservation:
- Final Year Bachelor’s Degree scholarship (15 awards
- Master’s Degree scholarship (15 awards), and
- PhD scholarship (15 awards). A total of 45 scholarships will be awarded per annum.
Each application must include the following documents:
- Motivation letter by the student
- Copies of current student ID and admission letter
- Copies of current certificates and academic transcripts, andSupporting letter from current Head of Department (HOD) on official letterhead, confirming the students’ academic status
- Candidates must ensure that their complete applications are received by the deadline.
- Incomplete applications and those received after the deadline will not be considered.