As part of the activities marking the 60th independence day of Nigeria , the State Government of Osun is organizing essay contest among youths with the aim of enhancing the unity among Nigerians.
The Southern and Northern protectorates of Nigeria were amalgamated in the year 1914 by Lord Lugard during the colonial the colonial era. Consequent upon this, Nigerians were clamouring for independence/freedom and it was later granted on the 1st of October,1960, followed by Republic in 1963.
However, successive governments have been observing or celebrating the independence day with fun and fares. The diamond jubilee celebration comes up on 1st October, 2020 by that time we must have been sixty (60) years as a sovereign nation devoid of interference from other developed Nations.
In this development, the state of Osun would not be left out and she has put in place an essay contest to promote reading culture and encouraging healthy, intellectual competition amongst the students of tertiary institutions who are Indigenes and residence of the State.
Table of Contents
In line with this commitment, the government of Osun in making a clarion call on bonafide Indigenes and residents of the state of Osun to participate in the essay Competition that is organized by the Ministry of Regional Integration and Special duties in Collaboration with the Ministry of Political Affairs and Inter-governmental Relations on the topic – “Moving Ahead Post Corona Virus Pandemic: Impact and Prospects of COVID-19 on the Economy”
Guidelines and Procedures
- Entries received for the essay competition will be reviewed by distinguished panel of judges made up of academicians from reputable Nigerian Universities/Corporate sector, who will then shortlist twenty (20) essays for further assessment.
- The successful entries will be notified by email and SMS, and would be invited to the final assessment event. The selected essayists of the final assessment will receive their prizes and awards at an event which will be held at the Local Government Service Commission Hall on October 1st, 2020 by 12noon.
- Furthermore, the essay must not exceed 1200 words and must be in Microsoft word format sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. The submission of the essay open Friday,11th September, 2020 and closes on Friday, 25th September, 2020
- Applicants must include their contact information (Name, Institution, Home Address, Telephone Number and email address) at the end of their essays, and must attach State of Origin/Local Government Identification and School Identity Card.
- Essays will be judged on the basis of originality, creativity, use of language and appropriateness to contest theme.
- The winners of the essay competition will be rewarded with Laptop, tablets and cash prizes.
- The competition is powered by the ministry of regional integration and special duties in collaboration with the ministry of political affairs and inter-governmental relations of the State of Osun.
Participation is open to State of Osun Indigenes in Tertiary Institutions across Nigeria and Students in Osun Tertiary Institutions.