Upon the concept of the founder of the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF), “Towards A Greater Understanding of Japan and a Lasting World Peace”, MIF has started the Research Fellowship Program in 1980.
Applicant is free to choose a host institution (universities, national research institutions or the corresponding facilities in private sector) to carry out your research.
You must obtain acceptance from a host institution prior to submitting your application. MIF is not in a position to give advice or recommendation to an applicant for a host institution in Japan.
Host Institution in Japan:
Applicants are free to select host institutions (university research laboratories, national research institutions or the corresponding facilities of private industry)
Fields of research such as natural science, engineering and medicine are considered with first priorities
Applicant of non-Japanese nationality who meets all the following eligibility requirements is invited to submit application documents.
- Applicant must obtain Letter of Invitation from Host Institution in Japan.
- Applicant must hold Ph.D. (Doctoral degree).
- Applicant must be at the age of 49 years old or younger at the time when application documents are submitted.
- Applicants must have sufficient abilities in the English or Japanese languages.
- Applicants should not have past or current experiences of staying in Japan. (Except for short-term stay such as sightseeing and conferences)
- Applicant must have an occupation in your home county, return there upon completion of your fellowship tenure and should contribute to the development of your country
Fellowship Duration and Reward
The following financial supports are provided to successful applicants. Fellowships are provided to successful applicants only and intended for necessary living expenses and research activities in Japan.
Under no circumstances, this fellowship is transferable.
- Monthly Allowance – JPY 220,000/month is provided for the purpose of expenses for research materials and living expenses.
- Insurance – Overseas Travel Accident/Sickness Insurance: 1. Personal accident insurance with death benefit and medical treatment. 2. Sickness insurance with death benefit and medical treatment.
- Air Transportation -Round-trip air tickets: Economy class, the most direct and economical route between the nearest international airport from the successful applicant’s domicile and Tokyo.
- Start-up Fund upon Arrival – JPY120,000 is provided to cover the initial costs to start a new research stay in Japan.
All of the following documents (#1-#7) must be converted to Adobe PDF by item and submitted to MIF by email.
All the documents must be typed in English and inadequate documents are not subject to screening.
The following emails are automatically rejected and excluded from screening without any notice.
- Emails equal or more than 10MB in size.
- Emails with attachments in filename extension other than Adobe PDF.
- Emails with attachments in any compressed format such as “zip” and “rar”.
- Emails including any program file and downloadable link.
The following documents should be submitted
- Application Form
- Research Project
- The Most Significant Publication by Applicant
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Recommendation Letter
- Soft Copies of Academic Certificates/Diplomas for Ph.D., Master, Bachelor
- Invitation Letter
Method of Application
3 to 6 months within the period between April and March.
Number of Fellowship Recipients:
10 or less
Use the link below to start your application process