Cristiano Ronaldo has signed a two-year deal with Saudi Arabian side Al-Nassr after his contract at Manchester United was mutually terminated.
According to Sky Sports, Saudi state TV al-Ekhbariya is reporting the development on its website.
Al-Nassr have also confirmed the deal via their online platforms. Al-Ekhbariya, however, reports that Ronaldo will start with Al-Nassr in January.
The contract is reported to be worth £172 million.
History in the making. This is a signing that will not only inspire our club to achieve even greater success but inspire our league, our nation and future generations, boys and girls to be the best version of themselves. Welcome @Cristiano to your new home @AlNassrFC pic.twitter.com/oan7nu8NWC— AlNassr FC (@AlNassrFC_EN) December 30, 2022
The 37-year-old left Manchester United last month on the eve of the World Cup.
In his explosive interview with Piers Morgan, the forward said he felt betrayed by the club and didn’t respect manager Erik ten Hag.
Former Manchester United captain Gary Neville said the manner of Ronaldo’s exit was sad yet inevitable, and the time has come for both parties to move on.
“The only thing Manchester United could do was draw a line under the Ronaldo affair,” Neville told Sky Sports. “They couldn’t allow the situation to come to this side of the World Cup, it needed to be put to bed.
“They’ve handled it really quickly and the way it has ended is the best for both parties.
“It’s sad it’s ended this way but it was inevitable, it had to finish. He will go on and play football elsewhere and hopefully do really well, and Manchester United can move on under Erik ten Hag.”